How to determine which "profile" works best for your body?

My ultimate goal is to have amazing cleavage without having to readjust a super padded bra. I think this is where the "profile" type of the implant plays a major impact. I'm just afraid that high profile implants may make me look unproportunate. I'm 5'4" and weight approx 110 lbs. Any suggestions ?

What profile is for you.

Implant profile consideration is much overrated. You should speak with your board-certified plastic surgeon to consider the expectations you want visually. Chest wall diameter is often a very important factor in choosing a profile.

Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Which profile works best for your body?

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately without photos of your breasts is hard to give you a good advice.  A central goal of breast augmentation is to choose the correct implant and placement in order to create beautiful, full, natural breasts.  A medial gap that is either too wide or too narrow can look unnatural, and so getting this component right is very important to the outcome.  This essentially entails creating a pocket that is perfectly placed so that the implant is in an ideal position on the chest wall beneath the breast.  Breast augmentation is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results in a variety of breasts types. Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure. Don’t settle for less!

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Thank you for your excellent question.  As you are mainly concerned with achieving cleavage the first step is in measuring your breast width accurately in order to select an implant whose width closely approximates this.  Desired implant size can then be determined and the profile adjusted to ensure that it fits your chest frame.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to have your results maximized.  

The best way to determine what style of implants would  fit you best- is to set up a consutlation/exam with an experienced Board Certified PS, where all measurements will be taken and implant options presented and discussed.

Which profile

You are correct in your concern.In general, higher profile implants restore volume in people who have more lax or loose skin. Lower profile implants do well in those never pregnant with very tight skin on small breasts. However, you are not totally correct that the profile determines the cleavage. Cleavage is more determined by the base width of the implant. High profile implants with a short base width will leave an unattractive wide space between the breasts.  Also, this is why round implants often give a "fake" appearance in the upper chest. If the implant is big enough to give more cleavage, it creates the excessive upper chest bulge because it is round.If you want cleavage and no fake upper chest, you are wise to consider the asymmetrical 410 gummy bear series which is much wider than it is tall.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You may be a candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for the question. There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient.  The difference between the different profiles of breast implants available have to do with the dimensions (diameter and height) of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants. I prefer to have a wide selection of implants (all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison. I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

****Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is: 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,  I have found that the use of words such as “amazing cleavage” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to tell without a photo and without assessing you. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns and find an option that fits you best. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon