Given my current state of mild ptosis, will a breast implant without lift be ok? (photos)

I have had 2 consults, one highly suggesting a lift and the other stating I was borderline and could get away without the lift. I like my current natural sag and do not want top shelf nor do I want the scaring that comes with a lift. With lift I was advised I could get my desired look of a C cup with a 325cc saline implant. Without the lift I would need 400cc. That worries me that I will be too big. It's not the sag that bothers me but the fact that they look deflated.

Given my current state of mild ptosis, will a breast implant without lift be ok?

Hi. You will not be happy with anything less than a breast lift with implants. The degree of breast ptosis will not be corrected with the insertion of just a breast implant. You need skin removed to achieve the lift and implants to restore volume. Good luck, Dr. PG

Your issue is an incorrect dx - YOU NEED A LIFT! The 400 cc implants are a good choice for volume but you will sag more.

Breast lift with augmentation

You would most likely get the best result with a full breast lift with breast augmentation. Please seek an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Be sure to express your goals and expectations to your chosen surgeon. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area
#realself #drdeanvistnes #breastlift #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants

I think it is fair to say that you certainly need more volume. This requires an implant. Lifts  come in several varieties and scar patterns. Some may be  better tolerated than others. The real determinate is pre operative measurements taken by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation alone or with a lift?

Thank you for your question. From your photos and desired results, it looks like you would be best served with a combination of breast lift with augmentation. The parameters of both the breast lift and the position of the breast implants should be designed to keep the implants relatively low while lifting the breast tissue and nipple to sit directly over the implants. If you don´t want to have a lift, you can get away with a breast augmentation to start, the breast implants can be used to restore volume in deflated breasts, and provide a lifting. This is a great approach in the right patient, and keeps scarring off of the front of the breast which I usually prefer. The implant will increase fullness and fill the skin envelope. Correct placement will also provide a few centimeters of lift, which is all many patients need for things to look perfect. With time you might need to have a lift in a second procedure. The key is working with an expert, board certified plastic surgeon to get the best plan for you.

IF you do not want to be too large and are afraid of the lift scars, you can have implants alone that fit your body and desires. You might have a little laxity of the breast tissue, but this is only noticeable when undressed and standing. This can always be lifted in the future if age and gravity make it displeasing to you. Do not go larger than you desire just to get a lift. You will regret it. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Given my current state of mild ptosis, will a breast implant without lift be ok

The implants will fill in the skin envelope, but I think that in time the newer larger breasts will end up more saggy than you are at present.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast lift - is it necessary

Thank you for your question about your breast lift.

• I agree with the surgeon who said you were borderline.
  • If you don't want a lift - I suggest that you have an implant of the size that you want -
  • Then afterwards, if you decide you do need and want the lift, it can be done in a second procedure.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

A Breast Lift May Enhance Augmentation

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.

Your Plastic Surgeon will measure you to determine the best shape and size of the #implants to be used. Shaped implants are all #textured and should not rotate when used properly. In my practice, about 20% of the patients benefit from #shaped implants.
It's important to know what size bra you currently wear. Is it a 32, 34, 36 bra, and, of course, the cup size? The strap size is important to know because that affects the diameter of the cup and subsequently the diameter of the #breast implant that we choose. It is also very helpful to know your height, your weight, and your dress size as well. All these can be considered when discussing your #options.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Only an in-person examination could truly answer this question, but based on your photographs, I think you will have a better result with a lift and an implant.  In some patients with minor ptosis, a dual plane technique can help prevent the need for a lift.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD