What is best combination for easy recovery when wanting 3 procedures?

want to do a mommy makeover and thigh lift (thighs arent too bad) is better to do a Tummy tuck, thigh lift & save breast lift w/ implants For another surgery date .. Or is it better to do the mommy makeover & leave thigh lift for different time .. Im looking to do out of town in Miami so I want to get home in quickest amount of time with a healthy speedy recovery for less complications. Ive had some drs tell me its ok to do it all at once .. Then I've had other tell me only pick 2 and save 1

Multiple Procedures at One Time- What is the Best Combination?

When considering several procedures under one anesthetic, it is important that safety be the most important determinant. When thinking about a breast augment mastopexy, abdominoplasty and thigh lift, each of those procedures individually could take up to four hours (in my hands). Clearly, treating all at once is not feasible as the risks of infection, poor healing and anesthetic complications is significant. It is also important to factor in what you will need to be doing after your surgery in terms of taking care of yourself, perhaps taking care of your home and family and returning to work. This is all part of the detailed conversation you should have with your board-certified plastic surgeon. My suggestion would be to do the breast and abdominal procedure together, then see if you really need the thigh lift.

Scott A. Brenman, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug and lift, Tummy tuck and thigh lift

I would not recommend doing all 3 at the same time. I think the recovery would be too much and the risk of complications increased.  You could do the Breast augmentation and lift with the tummy tuck or thigh lift then come back in 2 months for thighs or tummy tuck.  Best of luck. Make sure your surgery if performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.   Find one at ASPS.

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Procedures Such as In a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity.

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Combining case in Mommy Makeover

I would not recommend doing all these procedures at once as your risks increase significantly with more procedures and increased operative times. It depends how much of a thigh lift you need however. Doing the breast and tummy surgeries at one time is certainly commonplace.  Keep in mind that the tummy tuck does have an effect on your upper thighs. I prefer to do thighs at a separate time because of this. If you only need a little skin removed in the groin area to accomplish your goal (to correct the inner thigh only) then doing them all at once may be feasible.

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Safety & Combination Plastic Surgery Procedures

All surgeons are different in there preferences for combining procedures, but there are some general principles:
1.  Whatever combination you choose, the risks start to go up quite alit after about 6.5 hours of continuous surgery.
2.  There is a mounting body of science that shows an increase in blood clot risk with a combination of abdominoplasty and lower extremity liposuction, which is usable included in a body lift and/or thigh lift.
3.   Breast lifts often involve a horizontal incision which could get pulled down further during a tummy tuck and there blood supply risks of doing these two procedures at the same time.
Summary:  If you were my patient, all rather of these procedures would be done separately, because I couldn't do any two of them in less than 6.5 hours.  If you find someone that can; I would do the tummy tuck separately and combine the breast lift and thigh lift procedures!

What is the best combination?

Thank you for your procedure. It is best to discuss your options with the surgeon you have chosen to perform your procedures. The recovery time and the amount of work each person requires can vary from patient to patient. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Sequencing mommy makeover operations.

There really is no correct answer to your question. Each part of an a mommy makeover has its own set of considerations. Generally the abdominoplasty is the operation which takes longest to get over.

Planning multiple operations

Thank you for your question about your breast lift and implants, mommy make-over and thigh lift.

Your is a complicated question - surgical planning is very important - and what you are asking leads to a lot more questions - 
  • Exactly what surgery is to be done
  • Why out of town surgery? That often increases your risks but not always.
  • How long will you be in Miami? What surgeon will see you in Tampa if you have a complication or will you be driving every time back to Miami? 
  • Why Miami? Is there no Tampa surgeon who is right for you? Is the cost less? Did a friend recommend the surgeon? Do you have family who will look after you in Miami?
  • Is your Miami plastic surgeon a Board Certified Surgeon? Is your surgery to be in an accredited out-patient surgery center? Will you be an outpatient or staying at the center overnight?
  • Are you very slim or overweight? Much more surgery can be done at one time for a very thin woman.
  • I suggest you concentrate on finding the right surgeon for you - and then discuss with your surgeon the best and safest combination of procedures.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Decision on mommy makeover procedures

Hi, thank you for the question... in these cases is better to have a photo to be more specific on the respond... It will all depends in your evaluation.. and how is your blood test (HB)... If it was my case.. I will do breast and tummy tuck and Thighs in another procedure... But like a sed.. Depends in the evaluation.

Luis A. Mejia, MD