Breast reduction anchor scar.

I have seen some breast reduction scars that were done using the anchor method that have smaller scars that are more hidden under the breast (pic 2) in comparison to others that are longer (pic 2). Why are some smaller? Is it surgeons preference, the size of the breast, amount of tissue and skin being remove or another reason?

Breast reduction anchor scar.

Thank you for your question.  The extent of the scar at the inframammary fold depends on the degree of excess tissue and skin.  However, the scars should not meet at the midline.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Anchor scar

Thank you for your question. The anchor scar should be limited to the underside of the breast where the underwire of a bra would rest. At times, if there is breast tissue that extends into the arm pit or a skin roll, the skin excision will be longer.Consult with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and discuss your concerns. Also, look at some before and after photos to get an idea of how the incisions are placed.Good Luck,

Breast reduction anchor scar

When getting an anchor lift, the scar should always be more like in picture #2, which means it goes around the nipple, extends from the nipple down to the breast fold and then in the breast fold itself. You should check with your surgeon about how the scar would look on you. To see before and after photos of actual patients, click on the link below. For more information about this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction incisions

I try to use the smallest and least amount of incisions as possible. This depends upon the technique used and the overall patient anatomy.  Best of luck!