Is a breast lift needed if I have a level 1 breast ptosis? (photo)

Im 26 years old, mother of 2 looking into a mommy makeover and I was researching my degree of sag. And it closely resembles pseudoptosis or grade 1. My nipples are large from nursing, but they don't point to my feet. Can I get away without a lift? I don't have any pictures as this isn't my cpu. The photo I uploaded is from the internet to closely resemble my tatas. My nipples are placed the same but because they are larger, the lower part of the areola is level with the bottom of the breast.

Breast lift Needed?

Thank you for your question. As others have answered you can achieve a good result most likely with implants alone but if you want your areola to be a smaller diameter or the nipple to be in a higher position then lift combined with implants would give you the best result. A better answer can be given after a full exam and consultation. Good luck!

A lift isn’t always needed with mild ptosis.

When your breasts only show mild ptosis, like what you’re describing, it’s possible that you could see very nice results with breast implants alone. The important thing is that you have realistic expectations about what kind of outcome you can expect. In other words, the implants will give you a bigger cup size, but they will not give you a high, perky look. If you want upper pole fullness or you want your breasts to have that firm, youthful profile, then combining a lift with implants may be better. If you’re only interested in increasing your size and your surgeon doesn’t feel that a lift is necessary, you’ll probably be perfectly happy with implants.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Is a breast lift needed if I have a level 1 breast ptosis?

Thanks for your question. Based on your pictures you need a vertical breast lift (Lollipop scar) with a breast augmentation. i always tell to my patients that a breast implant is simply a bag of filler material designed to add volume to the breast.  A lift will help you to countour your breasts and give the natural shape that you are looking for. Best Wishes !!

Manuel Marte, MD

So no real photo of you. Only a possible copy? Than Yes try larger implant but without IN PERSON examination it is only an over the internet guess!

Breast lift needed?

As others in this post have mentioned, it is best to have a proper examination. The necessity of breast lift is based on he nipple position, skin quality and tissue thickness. In addition the issue of size also may come into the equation. In the picture you have shown, it may be possible to just have an breast augmentation without a lift. I would recommend you seek a board certified plastic surgeon and have a personalized consult in order to truly get a solution for your issue. Thanks.

Raj S. Ambay, MD
Tampa, Florida 

Correction of minor breast sagging with breast augmentation

A minor degree of sagging can be corrected with a breast augmentation alone.  It depends on the degree of sagging, the location of nipple, the direction that the nipple points, forward vs. down and elasticity of the skin.  

Breast lift needed or not

From your description it sounds like you do not need a breast lift. If your nipple is a little bit low but still at or above the inframammary  fold then you should only need implants placed. If your nipple is a little low then a dual plane dissection would help prevent need for a lift. You mentioned that your areola are large and so bear in mind they will  stretch out a bit more with implants. Good luck.

Is a breast lift needed?

Thanks for the question.  It is difficult to properly answer your question without examining you, but not all pseudo ptosis situations require a breast lift.  A lift  if required could be as simple as a crescent shaped excision of skin above the areola to raise the profile of the areola position, but once again this would be determined after a careful examination

your best approach to have your questions answered properly would be to contact a local Plastic Surgeon with a very good reputation for performing breast surgery, and by all means be sure the physician is board certified by the AmericanSociety of Plastic Surgery.  Don't settle for less than the best.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Tampa

Photo is often not enough to tell if a lift is needed

Although it does sound like you could have a good result without needing a lift, it's only by assessing the stretchiness of your skin in a physical exam that a definite answer can be given. Even if the look of the breast is good after surgery, sometimes the nipple will be lower on the breast than desired or the breast itself will be lower if a lift is avoided. I'd recommend seeing a few surgeons and getting an opinion in person before deciding.

Also, some surgeons routinely separate these surgeries, so there is nothing wrong with getting the implant and seeing how things look. If you are happy with the shape, but your nipple is just a little low, a periareolar lift (lift of the nipple and areola) can even be done under local anesthesia in the office. Best of luck to you.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Without examining you or at least seeing your photos-- it is impossible to assess accurately. However, in general-- if you wish to increase the volume -then your surgeon might recommend breast augmentation with implants; however, the "perky" breasts can be achieved through a breast lift procedure ( mastopexy)-with/or without implants. Best- is to schedule an appointment with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for in person consultation for a more accurate assessment, measurements, sizing-- etc.