BBL 2 months ago, not enough fat to give the results i want. How long after bbl can I get implants?

I had the bbl 2 months ago by a board cert surgeon with elite credentials and great before and after photos. Homework done. Problem is I was 31 yrs old 5'3" & 122lbs- very athletic. He was only able to collect and transfer 600cc out of 6 donor sites. I know it's too early to judge but I'm in love with the coke bottle shape but there is VERY little projection. It's unlikely Id have more fat to transfer again. Doc doesn't do implants so I need advice. How long do I wait & what are the real risks?

BBL disappointing - when can I have implants

Thank you for asking about your buttock silicone implants

• You should wait six months to let the buttock swelling subside from the BBL.
  • Your buttock implants should be put into the muscle which will hold them in place and protect against infection.
  • This limits the size of implant that can be used but they should give you a nice result.
  • Generally round implants are better than oval ones.
  • The two major risks are infection - which once established will require removal of the implant(s).
  • The other is injury to the sciatic nerve which controls your legs -
  • Sciatic nerve injury occurs when the implant pocket goes too low. 
  • Two incisions are usually used to reduce risk of infection, one on either side hidden in the crease.
  • Surgery takes time to do well.
  • Exparel injections into the buttock muscle will reduce the pain.
  • You may hurt a lot afterwards  even with Exparel.
  • You will usually spend a night at the surgery center, prone (on your stomach) and go home to rest.
  • No exercise for 3 weeks at the earliest.
  • Depending on the work you do, you go back to work in 2 - 6 weeks.
  • No leg exercise for 6 weeks.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Buttock Implants

I believe waiting about six months is enough time to allow for complete healing and swelling to resolve. Determine no lumps or masses, or any other potential deformity.

After six months, and confirm by physical examination can proceed with buttock implant.

Meanwhile start looking at the different implant shape and size and determine the range of implant size that you desire.

Not enough fat for Brazilian But Lift

Just from your measurements, it would be difficult to obtain the fat necessary to make the results you are looking for. I believe your surgeon did his best as 600 cc of usable fat on someone your size tells me he tried hard to make it work. I see women who failed this and now seek implants. I believe waiting 6 months would be adequate. An examination would be necessary to make sure the inflammation and swelling had subsided so the implant surgery has the highest chance for success.

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Buttock implants after BBL

Regarding buttock/hip augmentation surgery, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients, domestic and international,  per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12+ months and/or the projection result was grossly insufficient) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock and/or hip implants). Because it takes a full 9 - 12+ months for the fat to melt away and the micro-inflammation to dissapate, ideally one waits ~ 12 months before undergoing buttock implants. This being said, in very select cases, i have placed buttock implants in as early as 6 months post BBL with great results.  Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Secondary BBL

I recommend secondary BBL before implants. Implants are too risky with too much complications

Try to gain weight pre-operatively