Aging skin or cellulite on legs? (Photos)

My legs have what appears to cellulite. However I am not certain, if it is cellulite or aging skin or perhaps both. I run frequently (a least 3 times per week for 2-3 miles) and I left weight occasionally. My diet has not been the best over the past 6 months but I do drink a lot of water. I am 38 years old. I am embarrassed to wear shorts as my legs look so bad. I am looking for clarification as to what the issue is and how I can improve the appearance of my legs.

Aging skin or cellulite?

I am not convinced what I see is cellulite. Your best bet is to obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you experienced in Cellfina as well as skin tightening procedures. They can examine your skin carefully, then discuss treatment options with you.

Cellfina/Cellulite Treatment/Ultherapy/Thermi RF/Body Contouring/ Hi Definition Procedures

Thank you for your question.Cellfina is an FDA approved minimally invasive procedure that reduces the appearance of cellulite for at least two years on the buttocks and back of the thighs of women. It works by releasing the internal bands that cause the cellulite dimpling and so we have not seen any fat atrophy. You should not see much of a difference with weight gain or loss but this also has not been studied. Other areas of the body with dimpling, it is important to make sure it is truly cellulite before treatment. It is common to have swelling bruising and firmness after the procedure. This can last for a few weeks. It is different than Cellulaze which is a laser.  If you have had previous poor results with cellulaze, you can still do Cellfina. Cellfina has shown 100% noticeable improvement and 96% satisfaction in all patients at 2 years.  Cellfina is designed to be a one time procedure.  It can be used on women with all skin types but caution should be taken if theres a history of keloiding. It can also be combined with other treatments such as Thermi or Ulthera if skin tightening is needed. We have done Sculpsure and Coolsculpting if fat reduction is wanted, but its best to wait 3 months to see the results before proceeding. It can also be done at the same time as other procedures such as liposuction and BBL or as a stand alone procedure in the office. Since Cellfina outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Cellfina or other treatments are available to meet your goals.  Take care, Dr. Schwartz  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Cellulite

Your cellulite problem is a common one. Fortunately, finally there are effective ways to minimize this problem. Perhaps the least invasive one is  Cellfina™. Cellfina is the only FDA-cleared minimally invasive, one-time procedure clinically proven to improve the appearance of cellulite for at least two years—the longest FDA-cleared duration for a cellulite treatment. A straightforward solution to cellulite, Cellfina™, combines a proven approach with innovative, proprietary technology, to produce precise, long-lasting results and has a high satisfaction rating on RealSelf. Together with Velashape 3, a non invasive procedure to help "shrink wrap the skin" and further minimize cellulite as a combination treatment is perhaps your best chance for taking care of this tough problem. Cellulaze is also a possible treatment but much more invasive.

Skin Tightening and Smoothing Treatments

For skin laxity and contouring we offer non surgical BodyFX. It helps tighten and smooth the skin while also improving the appearance of dimpling. I would recommend an in person exam to determine candidacy. It is difficult to recommend any treatment without an in person consultation.

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Thighs

What you have isn't really cellulite, more just skin laxity. For example, when you lift up just a little on the skin above, it should correct the rippling. So you have a couple of options. None of them a magic cure but both of which I've done. The nonsurgical option in my practice to lift and tighten is Ultherapy. The second is a surgical thigh lift. You seem a little young for surgery with minimal sagging. Hope that helps