I have cleaned up nicely for my surgery, making sure I drink plenty of water and eat healthy. What about a Red Bull?

No smoking, alcohol, etc. What about an occasional Sugar Free Red Bull? I read the list of ingredients and don't know if it's ok to have a small one?

Red Bull Okay?

Please follow all of your #boardcertified plastic surgeon's pre-op instructions to insure you have the best possible #results with the easiest possible #recovery.  I normally would recommend my patients have no caffeine, but these instructions will vary surgeon to surgeon.
Best of luck on your surgery!

Ask your surgeon

You should check with your surgeon as your surgeon would be the best person to answer that question. It really isn't recommended to ingest any sort of caffeine for a few days pre-op. But every surgeon has different pre-op instructions. You should ask him/her!

Drderby

Red Bull contains a lot caffeine so it is not recommendable to drink it from  at least 5 days before your procedure. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Red Bull ok before surgery?

Thank you for asking about your surgery.
  • Excellent work getting ready for surgery.
  • Red Bull has a large amount of caffeine - 
  • I would not want my patients drinking any for 3 days before surgery.
  • You would be wise to check with your own surgeon or to stop taking it.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your lifestyle changes in anticipation of your upcoming surgery.  I would limit your red bull intake as you approach your surgery, and in the recovery period, as the caffeine may make any anxiety about your procedure and recovery worsen.  This can send your heart rate and blood pressure up increasing bleeding risk. Hope this helps.

ALWAYS best to ask your chose operative surgeon their comments. We, the over the internet responders ARE NOT responsible for your care. In my practice I do not recommend Red Bull pre op!