I'm looking for a doctor to perform gynecomastia surgery. Any suggestions? (Photo)

I'm 33yrs old with male breast. This is something I been have been struggling with since youth. I'm looking to have gynecomastia surgery.... Any suggestions on surgeons?

Doctor Answers 5

Seek a Board Certified Surgeon Specialized in Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery. Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Doctor Referral for Male Breast Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You appear to be an excellent candidate for male breast reduction. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American Society of Plastic Surgery both have excellent physician locators on their websites. Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi elroy,

Thank you for the post and the photos. You will definitely benefit from breast reduction surgery. Based on your photos I would recommend free nipple graft and skin excision in addition to removal of the excess breast and fatty tissue. This will give you the best contour. I would recommend that you seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in this type of gynecomastia surgery. It is something that you should consider traveling for if you are not able to find a qualified surgeon in your home town.

Dr. Dadvand

How Do I Pick A Gynecomastia Surgeon?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Gynecomastia surgery is an excellent surgery if performed by a well trained, Board Certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience.  Choosing the right surgeon for you requires going online and finding which ones of the Board Certified plastic surgeons in your region claim gynecomastia as one of their areas of expertise.

Read the reviews on these surgeons, especially on websites such as RealSelf, Yelp, RateMD, and Vitals.  Once you have limited your surgeons to those who have been positively reviewed with reference to gynecomastia surgery, then go to the websites for these individuals and look for excellent results. 

Consult with at least three Board Certified plastic surgeons who claim expertise in this area, ask to see before and after pictures, and if at all possible, speak to at least one patient who had surgery from each plastic surgeon.  This is a tiring process but it is a lot better than getting a bad surgery which you will regret. 

Thank you for your photographs.  If you were my patient, I would recommend breast tissue amputation with free nipple graft. 

I'm looking for a doctor to perform gynecomastia surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and pictures. Although I cannot provide you with a specific name, I can tell you ( based on the photographs) that you appear to be an excellent candidate for correction of gynecomastia (breast reduction) surgery.

In regards to selection of your plastic surgeon ( which will be the most important decision you make) I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link (demonstrating a similar case), helps. Best wishes.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.