I had a masseter Botox four days ago. When is it fine to have a whitening laser on the face?

Botox and laser treatments

Thank you for your question annacuaresmasmith. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. There are a variety of laser treatments that work for discoloration. There are no studies assessing the safety and efficacy of laser treatments after Botox. However, theoretically heat from a laser treatment may potentially cause movement of Botox and lead to possible side effects such as blurred vision or droopy eyelids. For my patients I recommend waiting one week between a Botox treatment and a laser treatment. However, I know several doctor that routinely perform both treatments on the same day. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

OK now

It is OK to have your laser treatment.
No need to wait for the botox to take effect.
The areas are different enough to treat now.

Laser after Botox

While there is no specific contraindication to using a laser immediately after Botox you might want to wait until the Botox has reached full strength before undergoing additional procedures, just in case a touch up procedure is necessary. This is generally 10-14 days.

In reality, the need for a touch up after masseter injections is likely very low, but it would be unwise to do on freshly lasered skin. 

Good luck! 

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Laser after Botox injection

It is safe to undergo your laser now.  There is generally no contraindication of lasers following neuromodulator or filler injections.  One exception would be is if you were having some issue at your injections site like an infection (although this would be incredibly rare).  

Have your physician assess your face right before the laser treatment.  

Good luck with your treatment. 

Edwin Kwon, MD
Los Angeles Physician

Botox and Laser

There is no contraindication with you having Botox and the laser to lightening the face.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Hello and thank you for your question!

I recommend you wait at least 10 days before undergoing any laser procedure on the face, because sometimes the Botox needs a revision or touch-up and it is better if you wait the 10 days to evaluate the revision and afterwards do the laser whitening, to avoid any interaction between both products.

Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Botox injection for masseters

We commonly perform combination treatments with Botox, fillers, lasers and other energy based devices. The Botox was injected deep into the masseter muscle. The laser will not reach this depth. I suspect it is ok to go ahead with the laser treatment at any point post Botox injection to the masseters. 

Masseter treatment and laser

There is no reason you cannot go ahead and have the treatments immediately.The masseter treatment was much deeper than the laser

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Whenever you want

I do not know of a reason you can't have a laser right now, but I would discuss with your plastic surgeon before proceeding.  Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Botox and Laser Treatments

There should be no contraindications for receiving a laser treatment shortly after receiving a Botox treatment.

If you ever have questions you should call your provider immediately. And trust your face to a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or a board-certified dermatologist.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon