I'm worry that my 650cc silicone implants will be too much. Any suggestions? (photos)

I'm 5'1", 145 pounds, my bra size is 36B, I'm getting breast implants but I'm very confused about the size, I really thought 500cc (silicone) will be ok but when I tried them it seems too small but the 650cc seems to be the right size but not as natural as the 500cc. I been reading that going too big may give me problems in the long term, should I consider something in the middle? or maybe tear drop implants for a more natural look? Thank you

650cc implants

Based on your height and weight and without the benefit of examining you in person and discussing your goals i would think that 650cc implants would look unnaturally large on a patient of your stature. Pushing the envelope many times results in the need for revisional surgeries/costs down the road. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon regarding your specific goals and whether they can be safely obtained.

Annapolis Plastic Surgeon

I'm worry that my 650cc silicone implants will be too much.

The best breast augmentation is not about going big, it is about getting a size that looks nice on your frame. Show your surgeon pre and post op photos of your wish look and rely on the doctors experience to get you to that goal.You are right that 650cc is big on most women with your framework. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Too big

You are not a big person from the measurements provided  - in my opinion 650 is way too big for your frame size - even 500 may be excessive but obviously it depends on your base size of your breast - going too big can definitely mean big problems sooner or later and more surgery and more costs

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

These  days there are a variety of breast implants available;   the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon  and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast  shape;  the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate,  the entire breast will change shape as well.  This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, on the other the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts.

***Given your concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” to "too big on me" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

The volume appears to be large on someone of your height

but if your chest is really wide, then it may fit.  Use a sizer around 600 cc's in an unlined bra and wear a light colored shirt and ask those with you, what they think.  If it is too top heavy for you, downsizing should be considered.  You can always use a padded bra if there is a certain look you desire.

Curtis Wong, MD

650cc implants?

Thank you for your question. Your desire for postoperative outcome will ultimately drive the decision making process. That being said, Larger implants come with more weight and more weight means the more gravity will affect them. The larger size will also violate more of the natural breast boundaries and as such will cause them to start migrating out to the sides more quickly and weakening the crease underneath more quickly. All of this will affect where they end up and over time accelerate thinning of your natural breast tissue. Try and find happiness with a more conservative size as it will directly correlate with the length of time they look nice. For most of us conservative is better. Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Selecting the best implant size? 650 mL?

For many of us the average breast implant size is quite a bit smaller than the 500 to 650 mL range that you are considering.  You are correct that the risk of complications is greater but this is not a certainty.  I would discourage you from going too large but it of course is a personal decision.  Some patients with large implants feel that it makes them look heavier while others feel it gives them better body proportioning. 

Only you can do your homework and take the time to make sure you are making the best decision for yourself.  If you are uncertain meet with your plastic surgeon again or seek a second opinion.  Good luck and best wishes. I hope you enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

I'm worry that my 650cc silicone implants will be too much. Any suggestions?

Dear Bgomez

At 5'1, 650cc implants would be rather present and sizable for your general height. If by using implants this large, your surgeon has to significantly lower your inframammary folds and the outside boundary of your breasts, you are at higher likelihood of longterm complications, namely bottoming out and lateral rippling. Consider a size that gives you most of what you want but is also unlikely to give you long-term problems. 

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

Implant sizing is best determined by your chest measurements and the look that you desire.  I would suggest trying the different sizes again to get a feel how you feel on a different day.  You want to feel comfortable with what you choose so a second look isn't a bad idea since you are unsure at this point.

Camille Cash, MD

Large breast implants create problems down the road #plasticsurgery

We tend to use relatively small implants in our Seattle based practice - its what most of our patients want and its what I'm comfortable with placing in most patients. Larger implants will thin breast tissue and the revision rate is higher long term.