Wondering if extended tt with lipo is best for me and if I need to lose more weight before considering. (photos)

I had gastric sleeve surgery 2 years ago. I lost 120 lbs and now weigh 175. I am 5'3. I am wondering if I should go ahead and get an extended tummy tuck with lipo at this weight or if I should try to lose 30 more lbs or so. I know I can lose more with hard work if I need to. I am a mom of 6 kiddos. One dr I saw said I would have great results if I did it at my current weight. I would just like more opinions on this and if extended tt is best choice for me.

Extended Tummy Tuck With Lipo?

Congratulations on your significant weight loss. Body contouring procedures are more complex for the major weight loss patient and there are number of factors that you should consider. Ultimately an in person consultation is really necessary to give you specific advice, but based on your photos it appears that you may be able to get a reasonable result with an extended tummy tuck and liposuction (I am assuming you are referring to your hip/flank area). However patients in the major weight loss group will often get much better results with a lower body lift  without doing the liposuction. So you should really consider additional consultations.

Another consideration is that your BMI currently is over 30. There is plenty of data that shows that your risk of complications significantly increases with a BMI above 30, so you would really better off loosing more weight to get you BMI below 30. While it may not be easy, if you were to lose 30lbs your BMI would be less than 27 and you would be in a much better place to have the surgery. Not only will your complication risk be lower but your recovery will be easier and your results will be better. Think of it as training for a big event. An extended tummy tuck or body lift is a big surgery and you want to be in the best situation possible in order to get the very best outcome.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. Congratulations on your weight loss!  From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck.  For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Tummy tuck

results are always the best if you get to your goal weight.  that being said you would have a nice result if you went ahead now.  congrats on the weight loss

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Wondering if extended tt with lipo is best for me and if I need to lose more weight before considering.

Based on your photos alone I would recommend an extended tummy tuck. Please consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Surgery after weight loss

Hello,  thank you for your question and photos.   Being on a stable weight will be the key for success on your surgery.   Losing another 30 pounds at this point is a wise decision because we often see a lot more skin excess than expected in the massive weight loss patients.  My advise is get on weight you feel confident and good about yourself and then think about having surgery.  My best wishes. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your weight loss. You appear to be an excellent candidate for an extended tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Preparation for Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Hello,Although photos can deceive, you appear to be a good candidate now for your proposed surgery. As long as you don't have excessive abdominal pressure due to intra-abdominal fat deposition, you do not need to loose more weight. This can easily be determined by your surgeon. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Preop weight loss

From what I can see in your photos, and provided there are no other risk factors in your health history, I would probably predict good results with proceeding now, but even better ones if you lose the 30lb first.  The decision to proceed now or after additional weight loss has some pros and cons:
What weight do you realistically think you can maintain in the long-term?  In other words, do you think you can keep the 30lb off if you lose it?  The smaller you are at the time of surgery, the more skin can be removed, but it would be wasted effort if you gained the weight back.  A stable weight after surgery is essential to maintain good results.
Your BMI of 31 increases your surgical risk, but so can the metabolic effects of too-rapid weight loss.  Regardless of your weight, you should not have the surgery if your serum albumin (a measure of your body's protein supply) is low.  In other words, don't crash-diet to get the weight off, or you'll actually increase, rather than decrease your risks.

Weight loss before surgery

You will have a better cosmetic outcome and fewer complications if you lose more weight before surgery.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Wondering if extended tt with lipo is best for me and if I need to lose more weight before considering

Although I think you are a good candidate for the surgeries you are contemplating, I believe you will have a much superior result of you can lose the additional weitth prior to the surgery

Julio Garcia, MD