Is My Tummy Tuck Scar Concerning? (photo)

I am 18 days post op and my scar right above my mons is becoming extremely red, more so by the day, and some areas appear to be separating. I found a loose end of a stitch sticking out from the middle. The distal areas of my scar are fine. Is this normal? I am still on antibiotics.

Tummy Tuck Scars after surgery

Fxygmrgrl, as the others have mentioned, if you are very concerned please contact your surgeon so they can see you in person.  Based on the pictures, it appears to be healing fine.  The center of the incision has the most tension since that is where the maximum amount of pull is.  Sometimes this area can widen a little because of the tension.  Also, having a suture "spit" (try to come out) is not an uncommon thing.  Also, you may be getting some ingrown hairs along the incision as it is right at the upper pubic areas.  Hope this helps.  Looks like you got a good result.  Your surgeon can give you a more precise idea in person. 

Tuscaloosa Plastic Surgeon

Is My Tummy Tuck Scar Concerning? (

I see nothing of concern in your photos. At this stage, incisions are often red--it is part of wound healing. The minor amounts of separation are not of concern. When pieces of suture are extruding, I prefer to remove them. 

All said, only with a call in to your surgeon can you get real reassurance. After some give and take over the phone,  a decision about whether you need to be seen can be made. 

All the best. 

Tummy Tuck Healing

You've brought up questions we often hear. Since most patients don't usually experience incisions as large as ones used for a Tummy Tuck, many find it difficult to comprehend what the healing process is like, and how long it takes for the incisions to heal and scars to diminish. It's not uncommon for scars to turn bright red and for there to be a bit of separation along the incision, as this is an area that receives a lot of push-and-pull. This is why most surgeons are quite strict about return-to-exercise following a tummy tuck.

If you're concerned about your healing and want some reassurance, I'd recommend that you call your surgeon's office and have him give them a quick check.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Scar

For 18 days post op, you are healing right on track.  You will find that you experience redness in your scar due to the tension on the incision.  This redness should fade over time.

Steven Heaney, MD
Erie Plastic Surgeon

TT scar

appears to be healing very well with some minor wound issues that are being handled correctly. Allow more time. 

Ask your surgeon about tummy tuck scar care post-surgery

Your surgeon will want to know about your concerns and it is not possible to give advice on this without seeing you. There may be a suture reaction or some other issue such as allergy to a topical medication, or it may be normal.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck incision

Tummy tuck incisions at this point are often a litle irritated looking and yours looks to be doing fine.  However, since you are concerned, I'd suggest that you have your doctor take a quick look at it for your peace of mind.