Should I get implants or just a lift? (photos)

I wear a 34ddd in VS but I basically have to roll my breasts up to fit in the bra. I like having boobs (I always have been a big chested person) but with pregnancy, and weight loss my boobs have deflated. I saw my PS last week and he doesn't think I need a BA just BL. I'm just afraid after all the extra skin is gone, I won't have nice full boobies. What are your thoughts? I'll also be getting a full tummy tuck and lipo of the abdomin and flanks.

Implants or Lift?

I would agree with your PS in that you would do better with just a breast lift and avoid the implants if you are happy with your current cup size (and a DDD is more than plenty for most women, maybe even too much).  It's always best to avoid breast implants if you don't need them because of the potential risks (long and short term), need for routine replacement surgery, additional pain and recovery and not to mention the added costs.  I think you will have a great result with what he has planned for you.  And after your tummy tuck, your natural breasts will look proportionately larger than what you currently have because your abdomen and hips will be much smaller.  You will look way too top heavy and unnatural if you get implants too and push your cup size toward the E cup range.  Plastic surgeons dream of having a patient with your body type (mostly saggy skin, and not obese) to do a mommy makeover because they know they can get you a great result.  Best wishes.

Full breast lift

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that you absolutely need a full breast lift.  You have enough volume it seems to achieve an excellent result from the lift alone, but a small/modestly-sized silicone implant could give you a slight augmentation as well should you want some additional fullness.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Should I get implants or just a lift?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. It looks like from your pictures that you have lost a significant amount of weight, so congratulations! Let me first say that I think what you need is going to depend significantly on what your goals are. If you like your current size, but just want things in a different position, then you would be very well served with a breast lift. In addition, your weight loss would make you a great candidate for an auto-augmentation procedure where you could use the excess lateral breast tissue to create a more rounded and projected breast mound in addition to the lift. If after this procedure, you still wanted to have a larger size, you could consider placing an implant at a later time.

If on the other hand, you are after a much larger size, then the lift and implant may need to be done together to get you the best results. In that case, there is some increased risk in doing both procedures at the same time and also your skin has also shown a propensity to stretch, so it will likely continue to do so in the future under the weight of a large implant. 

See a local board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to discuss your options. Best of luck to you!

Should I get implants or just a lift?

If you are happy with the size of your breasts, just not the shape, and you would like to avoid any later issues with implants (eventual rupture requiring replacement, the risk of capsular contracture), then you should have a breast lift and see if you are happy with the results. Your breasts will be significantly improved in appearance, though this will not result in fullness in the upper pole of the breast. If you know you want more fullness "up top", and/or a larger breast, then you will need an implant. In my opinion, when someone needs the degree of breast lift that you do, I think it is better to do the lift first and postpone the augmentation until about 3 months (or anytime) later.

Should I get implants or just a lift?

Thank you for your question and photos. Based in the photos, you have asymmetrical breasts, with loose skin and stretch marks. If you are pleased with the volume of breast tissue when you are in a bra, then a lift might be enough. Some tissue will need to be removed from the larger side to give you better symmetry. If you want fuller upper poles, you can only achieve that with adding implants as well. You are low breasted, and a lift alone will not raise the upper border of the breasts. I do auto-augmentation with the superior breast tissue during a vertical or lollipop lift. Based on an in person examination, the augmentation could be done at the same time as the lift, or at a later date (4-6 months) once the breasts heal and settle. A tummy tuck and liposuction can be done with the breast procedure. Good luck with your surgery.

Breast Impants or Breast Lift to Achieve a Full Breast.

An excellent question since so many women come in wondering the same thing. From your photos, it appears that you certainly need a lift. With a procedure that includes an auto augmentation or small breast implant made from your own tissue, you would get a very nice shape. The only question is whether or not you would have enough volume after the surgery to achieve your goals. The best way to tell is if your breasts are big enough for you when you a non-padded bra on. If not, then you would need an augmentation at the same time or later on. If you think you need more volume, then I recommend the natural feeling gummy bear implants from Sientra. I have added a video with more information about these implants for you. I also recommend a 24-hour recovery protocol to help the reduce complications. This can be done for breast lifts and for a breast augmentation.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Should I get implants or just a lift?

Implants alone do not adequately lift the breast when there is significant sagging, no matter the size or type of implant, and will not produce a good cosmetic result in a patient who also needs some variation of a lift.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person and be very realistic about your potential cosmetic result.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lift with or without breast augmentation

Thank you for you question and photos.

From your pictures, a breast lift as your surgeon has suggested would certainly benefit you. But I think you really need to decide where you want to be.

If you are happy with your total volume when you roll your breasts up and put them in the bra, you may be satisfied with a lift alone. A lift will concentrate all of your breast volume in a smaller space giving you a tighter, higher, more projecting and less deflated looking breast than before. You volume will be the same, just in a better place. Of note is that the volume will ultimately be more concentrated in the lower aspects of your new breast "footprint" than in the upper aspects but it will be significantly higher than it is now.

If you are looking to look bigger than you do when you are in a tight bra, then you may want to consider an augmentation. There are more size limitations to breast implant selection when doing an augmentation and lift at the same time than if they are done separately but an implant will be necessary to actually increase your volume.

Your qualified surgeon will help you define your goals and pick the right procedure for you.

Good luck! 

Frederick K. Park, MD
Rocky Mount Plastic Surgeon

Should I get implants or just a lift?

Thank you for the question and pictures.
Based on your photographs,  you will benefit from breast lifting plus/minus breast augmentation surgery (depending on your goals as well as your skin quality). 
You will do best by seeking consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.
Generally speaking, patients who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery should understand that this combination surgery is significantly more complex than either one of the procedures done separately. In other words, the combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately. Given the complexity of the combination breast augmentation/lifting operation and the greater risk of revisionary breast surgery needed, there are good plastic surgeons who will insist on doing the procedures separately. For me, if I see a patient who needs a great degree of lifting, who has lost a lot of skin elasticity, or whose goal is a very large augmentation then I think it is best to do the procedures in 2 stages (in order to avoid serious complications). However, doing the procedure in one stage does increase the risks of complications in general and the potential need for further surgery. This increased risk must be weighed against the practical benefits of a single stage procedure (which most patients would prefer).
Your surgeon may be wanting to do things in stages. I hope that this summary of SOME of the issues surrounding breast augmentation/lifting surgery is helpful to you and other women considering this procedure in the future.
The attached link may also be helpful. Best wishes.

Should I have implants or just a lift?

The decision between a breast lift alone vs a lift with implant placement is dependent upon your goals appearance wise and the degree of pre-existing breast droopiness. With more severe droopiness, as it is the case with your left breast, often times it is best to perform only the lift alone and consider implant placement at a later date once the lift is well healed. There is also a technique of breast lift which takes you existing breast glandular tissue and secures it to the upper chest wall to provide additional volume within the upper aspects of your breasts. You have likely chosen your surgeon for good reasons. If  you are concerned,  have second thoughts, or have additional questions, I suggest you have another discussion with your surgeon to express your thoughts and understand his or her reasoning. Best of luck!