I'm 62. Am too old to get implants?

Are You Too Old for Breast Implants?

This is a great question since many “more mature” women often ask this question. The simple answer is no you are not too old. In fact, many women in your age group have been attracted to the idea of breast augmentation now that we have natural feeling and looking gummy bear breast implants and we can do rapid recovery so that there is almost no down time.

I have added a web reference and a video for you to learn more.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

I'm 62. Am too old to get implants?

If you are in excellent heath, you are not too old for implants.  But......................in 15 - 20 years when your implants will likely need removal or replacement you may not be the best candidate for surgery.  With breast implants, it's not if you will need further surgery, it's when you will need further surgery.

For patients in your age group, I always look for another options to improve breast appearance.  Sometimes a lift and/or fat transfer can provide a nice and maintenance free option.

The other issue is the aesthetic one.  Most post menopausal ladies have relatively heavy trunks due to the way fat redistributes with age.  I think a lot up top makes most post menopausal ladies look heavy and matronly.

My advise is for you to see a surgeon who has experience in all aspects of breast enhancement.  He/she can spell out your options for you.

Oh, congratulations on being 62.  You qualify for discounted ski tickets at Alpental!  I'm looking forward to that discount myself.  Two years to go.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Silver Breast Augmentation

Age is not an issue when it comes to most cosmetic surgeries including breast augmentation. Desire and good physical heath trump age.

The gallery has spoken

and age is not any reason not to have something you want done.  My oldest patient was 75 y/o and she woke up happier than she could have imagined.  There are very few contraindications to implants so if you've been wanting it and am in a position to get them, go for it!

Curtis Wong, MD

Too old for breast implants??

Are you too old to feel sexy, beautiful, and feminine?  Are you too old for choosing your look, or deciding about your own body?  

Of course not!  Age is a number only, and your future is more important than your past.  Learn more about it, as you're doing, and if you want, go for it!  (Find a surgeon certified by ABPS).

Steve Laverson, MD

I'm 62. Am too old to get implants?

Thank you for your question. There is no age restriction on the placement of breast implants. More important than your age is your overall health and other medical problems, if any. It also depends on what your current breast exam is like and what your goals are. You might be someone who does not actually need implants to achieve your goals and may be able to have a lift or a reduction. If you do need implants, it would be important to assess your skin quality and breast tissue to determine which implants would be right for you. And it would also be important to make sure you have had the proper breast cancer screening prior to proceeding with breast surgery. Best to have an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your goals. 

Hope this helps!

I'm 62. Am too old to get implants?

Your age is certainly not a contraindication to having a breast augmentation with implants. There are a number of factors that are more important: Your general health, individual anatomy, realistic expectations, and a full understanding of the benefits as well as the potential problems that can occur with the procedure.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. If you decide to undergo the procedure, I would suggest a medical clearance from your primary physician before proceeding with any surgery.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Age less Important Than Health for Breast Augmentation

At 62 years old, you certainly are not too old for a breast augmentation.  As long as you are healthy, your age should not be a factor at all.  I have patients in their late sixties do this surgery for the first time without any issues and are always happy they did.  I hope this helps.

I'm 62. Am too old to get implants?

Thank you for the question. 68 years young  (and healthy) is certainly not too old for breast augmentation surgery. Best to see your family practitioner or internist and obtain “medical clearance” prior to seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. Then, communicate your goals carefully. Best wishes; hopefully your only regret will be not having done it earlier in life.

I'm 62. Am too old to get implants?

Thank you for your question.  If you are healthy and without and major medical problems, there's no reason why you can't have implants.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS