Can an umbilical hernia be repaired after a tummy tuck procedure was already done? Can it compromise my results?

Hernia after a tummy tuck

Thank you for the question. It would be difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. While it is possible to get a hernia after a tummy tuck, it can certainly be repaired. In the course of the procedure, the surgeon would have to take care not to disrupt the blood supply. As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and obtain reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Umbilical hernia repair after TT

Thanks for the question.  Yes, an umbilical hernia repair can be done after abdominoplasty, but their are some issues to consider. When a full tummy tuck is done, the incision is made around the entire belly button, therefore, the blood supply is now coming through the umbilcal stalk.  When performing an umbilical hernia repair, a general surgeon usually cuts partially through the stalk, and relys on the skin for blood supply.  After abdominoplsty, the blood supply to your belly button can be compromised,and there is a higher risk of umbilical necrosis/healing problems when performing umbilical hernia repair.  A laparoscopic approach where the hernia is approached from inside the abdomen may be a better option.  I suggest that you consult with a surgeon who has experience in laparoscopic hernia repair. Best Regards.

Umbilical hernia

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.
Definitively, the hernia repair could be done without damaging the tummy tuck if the size is limited to the belly button. Make sure that your surgeon is comfortable doing the procedure through a small incision. if the hernia is bigger using tinny incisions and a camera may to use a mesh. Adequate evaluation is needed.
Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Wishing you the best in your journey