When will I notice a definite difference with eye bag removal?

I had surgery for bags underneath my eyes 2 weeks ago and notice that when I smile or laugh there is still excess skin underneath my eyes. Is this still considered a recovery stage and is this normal. I assumed when you had the bags removed the skin would be firm.

TOO SOON

You will always have wrinkles and or muscle rolls when you smile. More as you age.  Fat removal is to remove the bulges that cast dark shadows when exposed to overhead lighting, making you look "tired".

Attempting to pull the skin up tight enough to remove all wrinkles, is beginners folly. Restaurants are full of patients with the whites of their eyes showing under their pupils (scleral show) because of over aggressive skin resection.

Your final result may not be evident at two weeks. This is early in the healing curve.

Takes time

Recovery after eyelid fat/bag removal takes time.
The skin needs to adjust to the new volume.
Not sure if any skin was trimmed at your surgery.

2 weeks post op and unhappy with eyelids

Thank you for sharing your question. Final results for eyelid surgery takes 6-12 months to see. At 2 weeks post op, you are in the earliest stages  of the healing process. Wait a few months more before attempting to judge the results. Revision can be considered after 6 months.
Good luck,

Postoperative Blepharoplasty Recovery Process

First off, it's always best to assume your surgeon performed the procedure in the correct manner. At 2 weeks out, your basically an "infant" in terms of surgical recovery. Your tissues won't achieve full maturation, and their "adult appearance", until a minimum of 3 months postoperatively. Let the tissue/swelling settle and the postoperative recovery run it's course. Furthermore, it's natural to have slight creasing to the lower lid while smiling, even in the most youthful of eyelids. Magazines are airbrushed...always. Fullness from bags and skin laxity are separate issues that are intertwined with the appearance of lower lid aging. Your surgeon balances taking appropriate amounts out of each in order to give you a pleasing result v. taking too much of either leading to a complication.

Post lower lid surgery

No surgery is going to get rid of all the lines and wrinkles of the lower lids.  Removing fat has to be done very carefully since taking too much can actually make the skin look more wrinkled with the loss of volume.  We usually excise some skin if there is extra skin - but can't take too much or the lid will be pulled down.  OFten some laser resurfacing can be done to try and improve the skin texture.  You are very early in the healing phase so need to wait before making any judgements about a final result.      

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

After lower eyelid surgery, skin may look different while you heal.

Hi Alejandro,
There’s no specific time it takes to completely heal after eyelid surgery. But you’re correct that you have not finished healing after two weeks. On average, bruising and swelling from eyelid surgery tends to resolve by six weeks, but everyone is different. Some people look good right away, and others have a little swelling that takes months to resolve.

Removing fat from your lower eyelids doesn’t change the texture of your skin. If your skin was firm before the surgery, it will be firm afterwards. If it had little elasticity beforehand, it will still have little elasticity afterwards. That being said, during the healing process, swelling and inflammation may make your skin may look different. So give it some time to settle down. If your skin still doesn’t look okay after you’ve healed, your doctor can talk to you about the options you have for addressing the things you don’t like. Fortunately, most people who have extra skin before surgery recognize this, and the excess skin is removed at the time of surgery. If this wasn’t a concern of yours before surgery, you will probably be happy with the skin once you heal.

Nancy Swartz, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Ophthalmologist