How much lip swelling will go away? (Photo)

I just had restylane silk injected into my lips this afternoon at 12. I liked how they looked immediately after they were injected and I especially like how they look now! It's 9 PM now and I've read a lot about "the next day swelling" and I'm wondering if that is what I'm experiencing. I'm also wondering how much of the swelling I should expect to go down. I would love for it to stay this way!! I only had 1 mg injected.

How much lip swelling will go away?

You have a beautiful result from the treatment and while you can definitely expect some of that fullness to disappear, what you saw immediately after the injection is pretty much what you will have once everything settles.  Allow for some time to pass ( 4-6 weeks) before you make the decision to put in more fillers.  

Manhattan General Surgeon

Swelling following Restylane Silk for the lips - Williamsville, NY

It is too earlt to determine the final effect and 10-14 days from now you will be able to determine if it is the look you wanted.

Best
Dr Karamanoukian

How much lip swelling will go away?

Hello Reevarebea,

What you saw at the end of treatment is closer to what your final result will be.  The swelling you had at 9 will likely increase to the following day, but will only be temporary.  Silk is a great product but it won't add as much of a lift as Juvederm will.  You may consider that product in the future if you like how your lips look more with the swelling.  You can also have more filler added with Silk, but I recommend waiting at least 2 weeks before considering any further injections.  This way the swelling will be gone and what you will see is the result of the filler.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Silk

Thanks for your question.  You definitely have to expect some of the fullness you are NOW seeing to disappear since some of it is going to be caused by swelling. The results that your saw directly after your injections are what your results should be once all of the swelling has gone down. Swelling can last anywhere between 1-2 weeks.  I would recommend waiting 2 weeks before making the decision to get additional fillers. Best, Dr. Green

Lip swelling

Please be patient and don't do anything to irritate or make the swelling worse.  Heavy kissing or sucking can exacerbate the swelling.  You should be fine in several days.  They will not stay that big.  

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after restylane silk

It is likely that your lips will not remain as full as they are right after the injection. The swelling will decrease over the next week. If you liked them more full, you may need another vial of restylane silk.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Swelling

The amount of swelling a patient experiences can vary greatly. Any volume increase you noticed beyond immediately after the procedure was done can be attributed to swelling. Your lips will end up looking slightly less full than they did even at that point because your lips begin to swell slightly immediately upon injection. I would recommend consulting with your doctor about adding a second syringe of product to achieve your desired aesthetic result. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Edema in lips following Restylane Silk

Because of the small particle size of Restylane Silk, the product pulls water/hydration to the lips more so than other HA's.  Edema is usually noted for the first 1-2 days following injection, then gradually resolves giving a very natural outcome.  Since your preference is voluptuous lips, you may consider using Restylane the next time you are injected.  Your lip contours and definition are beautiful. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Restylane Silk /

I appreciate your question.

Best to wait up to 2 weeks to determine final results.  I would recommend that you schedule a follow up visit with your Injecting MD at that time to review your final results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Swelling after Restylane Silk

Your immediate results are fairly typical. I tell my patients that they should expect 2-3 days of mild to moderate swelling.  Some people actually prefer the swollen look, but this will decrease somewhat over the next several days.  I would give it a good 7 days to evaluate your results.  The good this is that you can always add more if you feel you need more correction.  

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician