What Are the Symptoms of Ptosis?

Hi. I am 21 years old. My left eye tends to droop a bit.But i have recognized something strange. My left eye appears normal after sleep or when i wash my face. Only after a long hours of wearing glasses i can find it actually drooping. Also the same is the case when i look at something far away my eye appear normal. Will ptosis surgery correct my defect or do i hav to try some other process..

Doctor Answers 11

What does eyelid ptosis look like

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 True eyelid ptosis is when the eyelid margin begins to droop to the point that it covers up part of the colored portion of the eye(s).  The amount that's covered is measured in mm's and that's what we use to describe 2mm, 3mm or ptosis etc.  Pseudo-ptosis is when excess upper eyelid skin folds onto the eyelids forcing them downward.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

One interesting reason why the eye droops more at the end of the day

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

some people with ptosis notice it most at the end of the day. the upperlid is actually held "up" by not one but two muscles. the muscle normally fixed during ptosis surgery is the levator when the procedure is done from the outside of the skin.  another type of repair doesn't actually "fix" the muscle but rather shortens the tendon of  the levator from the inside of the lid.  mueller's muscle is another muscle that "helps" the levator with the upper lid but tires during the late afternoon or when we wind down in general. interesting isn't it?  at your age it is unlikely that the muscle released from its attachment,  therefore the type of repair necessary may have to address an inherent muscle problem. improvable for sure but symmetry will be challenging. of course every case is unique and requires expert history and physical. this is not a problem for the novice surgeon. a specialist is definitely required. good luck.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Based on your description, it does sound like you have eyelid ptosis. However, a proper diagnosis cannot be made without a physical examination. Ptosis can be treated successfully with a surgical procedure. But there are various medical reasons as to why someone has ptosis and these need to be evaluated thoroughly before you have surgery to treat it.  I would recommend that you consult with an oculoplastic surgeon for proper evaluation and treatment. Good luck!



Sarmela Sunder, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

I agree with Dr. McCracken

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your simple description is completely consistent with upper eyelid ptosis.  Please seek help with an actual oculoplastic surgeon rather than a general surgeon or general plastic surgeon who does ptosis surgery.  There are a growing number of very well trained oculoplastic surgeons in India. Here are email addresses of two potential surgeons: drshubhragoel@gmail.com and drtripathy@gmail.com.  You can consider contacting them to see if they are close to you are have alternative recommendations.  If Realself needs to block these email addresses, please feel free to email me via my website for these referrals.


Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You definitely need to have your eyelid evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon. Being that your symptoms are intermittent opens up a whole slew of possible reasons behind the droopy lid. Without a picture, measurements, and a complete exam it is very difficult to address your question.

Roger Bassin, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 95 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

you need an evaluation by a plastic or oculoplastic surgoen that performs surgery for ptosis..only by an examination can the correct surgery if needed be determined. good luck

Michael K. Kim, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Symptoms of ptosis in 21 y.o.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hard to say without photos or exam.  It sounds by your description that you may have drooping, (ptosis) of the eyelid. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon. they will listen to you and do an exam to see if you need a standard blepharoplasty, or an operation to raise your eyelid.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Ptosis Symptoms

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Ptosis can be expressed in a variety of ways.  You need to meet with an experienced oculoplastic surgeon to learn more.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

Ptsosis vs Dehiscence or Eye Fatigue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You may or may not have an actual ptosis of the upper eyelid (levator aponeurosis dehisence ). Sometimes a mild dehiscence can appear during eye fatigue and not at other times. However there are other conditions, mostly neurolgical, that tend to present themselves with fatigue. It is important that you see an ophthalmologist for a thorough eye and possiby a neurologic exam. Ptosis surgery will correct your problem so long as it is related to a levator aponeurosis tear and not a neurological condition.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your history, it sounds like you have ptosis.  Eyelid surgery can be used to correct ptosis, but first you need to be examined to rule out any underlying cause for the ptosis.  You should be evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon.  The best way to find one is at the website for the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.