What is the likelihood of needing the small vertical scar? Are there different versions or methods I should know about? (Photos)

I'm scheduled on 11/3/16 for a full TT, repair of rectus diastasis and lipo of the flanks and abdomen. I don't think I have enough upper skin to pull my belly button all the way down to what I was told would be a very low horizontal scar. I should note that I did have a c-section 10 years ago. I'm nervous about the vertical scar though I realize it's better than being too tight and risking the healing process.

No need for vertical

You area a wonderful candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck and NO need for a vertical incision.

You do have flaccid skin enough, on top of your belly button which make you a candidate for the  full TT. The "bulge" on top of your belly button let me know you do have a significant degree of saggy skin.

You will end up with a nice and low incision, no need of vertical, nice muscle repair to achieve a totally flat abdomen and smaller waist and looking AWESOME after all.

Be encouraged.

Dr. Cardenas

Tummy tuck

you should not need a vertical scar,  relax..........................................................

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Vertical scar with TT- Needed?

Hi sylvaniamama

In looking at your pics, I think you should be fine.  The vertical incision is ONLY really needed when the hole from the old navel can't be completely removed.  You have a long torso with plenty of lax skin above the navel, so I think it should reach.  There aren't any magical techniques and it sounds like your doctor is advising you well.

Best of luck to you.

Sek

No vertical scar needed

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  There is no need to worry about a vertical scar.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What is the likelihood of needing the small vertical scar?

I think you can relax. With your abdomen you can easily have a TT with a very low scar and no vertical component to the scar. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Vertical scar?

If you are referring to not being able to remove all the skin where your umbilicus was, then it is often a small vertical scar about 2-3 cm's long.  The majority of the time it can be removed.

TT

Based on your photos, you should not have to worry about a vertical scar.  The umbilical keyhole should be able to be completely removed from the horizontal scar.  The closure may be a bit tight but it should not compromise your healing.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Vertical scar unlikely

Based on your photographs, it appears highly unlikely to me that you would need a vertical scar. 

Different techniques and your plastic surgeon's technique in particular for the tummy tuck could potentially make that scar more likely, but using the standard technique would be unlikely to need a vertical scar. 

Discuss this with your plastic surgeon and be sure that you would be comfortable with a vertical scar, just in case. 

Christopher W. Chase, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Vertical incision

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture you are a good candidate for full TT. I think you have enough skin that does not need vertical cut. Good luck

What is the likelihood of needing the small vertical scar? Are there different versions or methods I should know about

Vertical scars are usually only needed for patients with little skin to remove or who have extra long torsos. Based on viewing your photos, I do not see any reason for you to require a vertical scar. Your surgeon should be able to even use and extend or remove completely your c section scar. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon