Can I fix coolsculpting?

I paid over $6000 to have the cool sculpting done on lower abs and right above. My stomach is huge, hard and sticks out more than ever. It has been over a year. I can not even suck it in anymore. The doctor who completed it closed the practice and I can not contact her. Any suggestions on how to improve this state of my stomach? It is embarrasing I have even gone up a pant size. No weight gain.

Doctor Answers 12

CoolSculpting Issue

Getting ahold of those before and after pictures is crucial. I would contact the physician that your records went to (as they should not just disappear as your previous physician retired). Regardless, until we look at pictures of you beforehand, its hard to say how this issue occurred. It could be that after removing the fat on your stomach with the treatment, that you store fat elsewhere- causing you to notice a different appearance. It is also a possibility that you have gained weight (fat weighs less than muscle, therefore your numbers on the scale may have stayed the same despite the gain).

Columbus Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

CS Fix

Thank you for the inquiry. I'm sorry to hear this. From what you are describing, it sounds like paradoxical hyperplasia. It is an unfortunate side effect. If your practice has closed I would recommend contacting another certified CoolSculpting Practice in your area or to contact CoolSculpting directly on how best to handle next steps. 

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Fixing Coolsculpting

Based on your description, you appear to have paradoxical hyperplasia. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is an expert in both Coolsculpting and Liposuction to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Cool Sculpting Issues

Dear aellenwood, you may have paradoxical hyperplasia which in the latest journal studies are 1 in 4000 treatments. I have seen several clients with this issue (one client in my own practice and then several referrals from non surgical practices for me to fix). My practice is about 2 hours from Sylvania in Central Ohio and I would happy to see you in consultation. Zeltiq will help you in some cases (to pay surgeon fees for the correction) however they will want documentation of the date/time/areas treated/applicators used as well and before and after photos. However, with that being said I am happy to help if you would like to come for an in person consultation. 614-246-6900 and ask for Dr. Heck consultation. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

PAH after CoolSculpting

What you're describing sounds like Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia. It happens but only to a small percentage of patients. The only way to correct this is by liposuction. Call Zeltiq and they can help walk you through the next steps. If you can't get in contact with your original doctor. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to see which areas are needed.  I wish you the best.

Robert G. Aycock, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

CoolSculpting Side Effects

From what you are describing, there is a possibility that you may have developed paradoxical adipose hyperplasia.  This is very rare, but can occur to some patients who have been treated with CoolSculpting.  Liposuction is the only way to fix it, if this is the case.  Definitely contact Zeltiq to see if they can help you with your situation.  You will most likely need your records showing your before and after photos, along with your treatment plan.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Can I fix coolsculpting?

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon and contacting Zeltiq. Also ensure that you have your records as you will need this to proceed. Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 457 reviews

Coolsculpting and Costs versus Hi Definiton Liposuction

Often non invasive treatments cost more than liposuction.  This may be reactive hyperplasia and needs liposuction, even then there is fibrosis and the results are limited. i suggest you see an expert.  It will likely cost you more to fix.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Fixing Coolsculpting

It sounds like the outcome that you received is not the one you wanted. I would suggest that you obtain your treatment records from the physician that performed your procedure and contact Zeltiq directly. I would also suggest that you get a 2nd opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, who may have some suggestions.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Bigger after Coolsculpting

If you have your before and after photos, you may want to contact Zeltiq for assistance.  It is important to have all of your treatment records first.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.