If my weight tends to fluctuate is BA okay?

I have a long history of body image issues and my weight still tends to fluctuate. I'm currently at the lower end of what I normally am and I have a consultation booked in October. I'm a bit apprehensive about BA for a number of reasons but primarily I question what will happen if I gain weight. My weight can fluctuate by up to 6 kilos.

Weight Fluctuations

HI Raisins, a small amount of weight fluctuations probably won't matter, unless your breasts tend to change a lot with this. It also depends how big your breasts are before surgery and what size implants you select. If your breasts are small, then weight changes probably are less of a problem. Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

BBA and Weight Change

Thanks for your question.  If your weight fluctuates, your natural breast tissue will change and result in your breast size changing as well.  Every woman is different in that some women's breasts change much more than others with weight fluctuations.  This has to do with the proportion of fat vs breast tissue in the breasts themselves.

If you have apprehensions about BA for any reasons,, discuss these at your consultation. You need to feel as comfortable as possible before undergoing surgery.  Your PS should be able to help you determine if this is the right procedure for you.  Best Regards 

Fluctuating weight

When you go for your consultation discuss these concerns with your surgeon.  If when you gain weight you notice changes in your breasts then some consideration may need to be made.  If your breasts stay essentially the same with weight fluctuation then there is little need to worry.

Camille Cash, MD