I am wanting to have Botox in my frown mark between my eyes. Are there any risks if I have it with having multiple sclerosis?

Is there any risks involved in having Botox in this area of my face & possibly a filler in either side of my lips where my lips have dropped in time/age

Botox and Neurologic Disease

Botox is a fabulous injection to help temporarily freeze the muscles, typically used now for cosmetic reasons in the face.  I do not know of a contraindication for MS but I would defer to your neurologist and please check with him or her before proceeding with cosmetic Botox injections.

Botox and Filler Risks for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Dear leosissy:

I hope you are doing well with your MS!

Botox blocks the chemical signal from the end of the nerve to contract the attached muscle.

Multiple Sclerosis is a auto-immune disease where the body attacks and injures the covering of the nerves axon interrupting the signal transmission to the muscle it affects.

Botox Cosmetic is used to relax a very small number of muscle fibers to achieve a rebalancing of the pull on the skin causing wrinkles. If it affects the same muscles that MS affects, a complementary action such as double vision could occur. This would be exceedingly rare particularly if performed by a well experienced, Board Certified Injector. You may wish to have your neurologist discuss your particular desires with your injector, a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT Facial Surgeon.

Fillers are not known to have any similar effect on patients with MS. Both Botox and Fillers are used for MS patients in my practice.

I hope this is helpful. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox and multiple sclerosis.

Thank you for your question.  This issue does come up quite commonly.  While multiple sclerosis does affect the nerves, on account of the mechanism of action of Botox it does not interfere with your multiple sclerosis in any way.  Feel free to undergo Botox injections if your physician feels this is in your best interest.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Your OK to get botox if you have MS

There are a few neurological disorders that are contraindicated to receive botox including myasthenia gravis or ALS but MS is not one of them. The other exclusion is if you take any muscle relaxants or anticholinergic medications that block neuromuscular transmission. This is an advanced technique so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist