Vaginal tightening. Am I better off getting the operation done by a plastic surgeon or a gynecologal surgeon?

I've had 2 vaginal deliveries and I want to get my vagina tightened. I'm a better off getting the operation done by a plastic surgeon or a gynecologal surgeon?

Vaginoplasty is an overlap area for both plastic surgeons and gynecologists.The most critical decision to be made in achieving the best plastic surgical result  for vaginal rejuvenation is picking the most experienced and talented, that is the best, plastic surgeon or gynecologist possible. This means the most well trained and experienced in #vaginalrejuvenation. Too often, patients choose a physician based on a catchy ad, the brand name of a technique, the basis of one or two before and after photos, or their web site’s search engine ranking. These criteria will not find the most experienced and talented plastic surgeon or gynecologist. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the #RightSurgeon for your procedure.

Who is qualified to perform vaginal rejuvenation surgery

This is a great question that I hear from patients a lot. Both plastic surgeons and gynecological surgeons are qualified to perform this surgery. However, with that said, you should find a surgeon who performs this surgery regularly in order to provide you with the best results. I recommend you consult with a few surgeons and ask questions like how many vaginal tightening procedures they perform, do they have any before/after pictures to show you, what sort of training did they receive, etc. Having the answers to these questions will help you determine if the surgeon is qualified to perform this procedure well. And finally, make sure you feel 100% comfortable and confident with the surgeon you choose. Hope that helps!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Vaginal Tightening non surgically with a plastic surgeon

Great question! I
would recommend ThermiVa.  ThermiVa uses
RF (radio frequency) to warm the tissue to stimulate the collagen of the
vaginal walls, increasing the blood flow and vaginal moisture. It can also be
used externally to assist in the labia retracting giving it a more youthful
look. There is no downtime with the ThermiVa treatments allowing you to return
to all your normal daily activities including sexual
intercourse. ThermiVa addresses vaginal dryness, vaginal laxity
& vaginal tightness.  With ThermiVa I have seen
immediate visual results of the inner and outer vagina after the first
treatment. Three treatements are recommended for maximum results 30 days apart.  Visit the ThermiVa website for more information and list of physicians in your area.  Wishing you the best!

Camille Cash, MD

Considering Vaginal Tightening

It really comes down to their personal experience, reputation, and who you feel comfortable with. You may also want to consider a non-surgical option. The Fotona Intimalase procedure yields an average tightening of 17% of the vaginal canal without surgery. The process is fast, virtually painless, requires no downtime, and has no side-effects or contraindications. Hope this helps.

Shelena Lalji, MD
Sugar Land OB/GYN

Well, as in many medical disciplines, turf can be a touchy issue. It is usually a good idea to ask your friends who may have had this done about their experiences and go from there. I am a Plastic Surgeon who also completed a full General Surgery residency training program. In the course of my training programs, I performed many pelvic and vaginal procedures, providing me with the necessary experience to comfortably operate in this area. I have also had significant experience in both the CO2 fractional laser and Radiofrequency treatments and base my treatment recommendations on that experience. I believe that there is no comparison between CO2 laser and RF treatments in terms of good and long lasting outcomes. RF is solely a thermal device, administering heat energy into the target tissues. RF produces a tissue temperature of 50-55C, which is inadequate to promote significant new collagen production (Neocollagenesis). Fractional CO2 laser treatments also deliver thermal energy to the tissues, but raise tissue temperatures well above 60 degrees Celsius (the lowest temperature at which neocollagenesis is effected), and also have an ablative component (that RF lacks) which promotes vaginal lining regeneration.

So, research your local surgeons and make an informed choice. If non-surgical treatment is your best option, then go with a Fractional CO2 laser treatment (such as Femi Lift by Alma lasers). If surgery is necessary, then be aware that the recovery will take longer. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question.  As with most procedures, I would recommend you see several physicians in consultation for your tightening.  During the consultation evaluate the surgeon on their knowledge base, ability to communicate the issues and treatment, and demonstrations of their prior results.  You should then be able to make a confident decision as to who you feel most comfortable with.  Hope that this helps.   

Who should perform vaginal rejuvenation surgery?

Dear Mink000,

Obstetrician/Gynecologists receive specific training in pelvic reconstruction techniques in residency and can further their training in fellowships or with proctorships under other surgeons.  That is to say, plastic surgeons with advanced pelvic reconstruction training would also be adequate to treat vaginal damage.

My personal opinion is to research the surgeons in your area for their training and expertise in pelvic reconstruction, whether it be a gynecologist, urologist, or uro-gynecologist first before looking at other medical professionals for this type of repair.

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Vaginal tightening frequently requires pelvic reconstructive surgery

Vaginal looseness (laxity) is usually accompanied by damage to the supports of the pelvic floor which supports the vagina. This usually requires the repair of these damaged supports at the time of vaginal tightening. If this is not done, your vaginal tightening will fail. Pelvic reconstructive surgery is complex and requires training that is usually limited to gynecologists, urogynecologists and urologists.

Gynecologists are best at vaginas

For the specific surgery you are thinking of, a Board-certified Gynecologist is best.  We spend months practicing and perfecting this surgery during our training, which during a Minimally Invasive Gyn Fellowship includes focusing on the pelvic floor and its healthy function.  In addition, a gynecologist may suggest alternative methods such as pelvic floor physical therapy post operatively to improve your overall outcome and function.

Excellent question.
it dose not matter is the doctor is a gynecologist or a plastic surgeon, as far as your doctor is aware of the anatomy and knows all available options which are present at present time, he is the best doctor.

To give you an analogy up to recent years the plastic surgeons where thinking the answer for dropping of facial skin was only surgery. But know they have understand the answer is not only surgery , while by replacing volume and tightening of skin they can get good result without risking the complication of surgery.

so my answer to your question is which doctor is open minded and thinks out of the box and is open to know the new technology. There are new methods are available to tightening of vagina such as using Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation ( FemiLift) plus PRP ( Platelet Rich Plasma ). Of course it all depends on your pelvic exam.
Good luck and Best of  health