Why is my tummy tuck wound so big? Does it look like it will heal well? (Photo)

I am 10 days post tummy tuck - my scar is way bigger than I expected. Does this look normal? Does it look like it will leave me with a huge scar? I know its infected and im taking anti biotics and i have started changing my dressing daily.

Why is my tummy tuck wound so big?

Hi Linda,
The wound healing issue you are having can definitely happen as a result of a tummy tuck. While it is not common, the elevation and advancement of abdominal skin can cause some wound healing issues when there is not enough blood flow to an area. This can cause the tissue to struggle as it tries to heal. Bacteria love an oxygen poor environment so having some local infection usually accompanies this. The nice thing is with antibiotic treatment and wound debridement the wound will contract down as it heals. After several months you can then go back and do a scar revision if needed. The important thing is to stay in close communication with your surgeon in case anything changes. Best of luck. 

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Why is my tummy tuck wound so big? Does it look like it will heal well?

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. These types of incision line healing problems are not uncommonly encountered after tummy tuck surgery.  Exactly what the cause of the  delayed healing is best determined by your plastic surgeon, who will also be her best resource when it comes to treatment recommendations.  Generally, these types of incision line healing problems are self-limited and heal over the course of a few weeks.   Sometimes the area may look worse, before it looks better, usually by the two month post op mark.  Sometimes, removal of unhealthy tissue and/or exposed sutures may help expedite the healing process. 
Wound care regimens will differ from one plastic surgeon to another. Generally, this will involve application of some type of sterile dressing ( in my practice I use a non-stick dressing covered by a sterile dressing). You should have peace of mind that these types of wound healing problems generally go on to heal over the course of the next several weeks, often without long-term sequelae. Very important will be close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Also important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including good protein source.  Best wishes.