Tummy tuck performed 10 months after delivering baby?

I had a c-section to deliver my twins in April, and am hoping to have a tummy tuck performed in February. I had my heart set on a particular doctor, however his receptionist has told me that he wont operate before a full 12 months has passed. I need to have the surgery done in Feb to allow adequate time to heal before returning to work, do surgeons often make exceptions for this sort of thing? I can't speak to him directly, and not keen to pay for a consult if I can't have surgery done in Feb.

Tummy tuck after pregnancy

Hi Jessy

There used to be a rule that abdominoplasty was not covered under Medicare in less than 12 months after pregnancy, but now that does not apply, as Medicare does not cover abdominoplasty after pregnancy at all. 

It makes sense to wait until your body has recovered after pregnancy, and 12 months is a sensible but not arbitrary time. I don't think this is a problem if you and your surgeon agree you are suitable for earlier surgery. 

Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney

Timing of tummy tuck

There is no scientific evidence to support the timing of tummy tucks after child birth.

The reality is as long as your weight is stable and you are physically and emotionally ready then the extra 2 months will make no difference.

I think you will be fine having the surgery at 10months.

I hope this helps and good luck

Thank you for the question.  Assuming you are a good candidate for candidates surgery at the 10 month post part of mark,  there should be no reason why you could not proceed.   There is nothing magical about being one year postpartum.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Appropriate waiting time for abdominoplasty after childbirth

Hello Jessy,

This is a good question and a great use of this forum for patients to get answers regarding issues like this.  As I understand it, it would be ten months after your C-section twin baby delivery for you to undergo an abdominoplasty vs. waiting an additional two months before the procedure is performed.  My personal belief is that an extra two months most likely will not make a significant difference in performing the surgery (waiting to the tissue to return to how it will eventually be, fluid shifts from the pregnancy and C-section, rebuilding of your blood count, assessment of tissue to be removed, etc.).  Your plastic surgeon may have a guideline for waiting a year to make sure that all is in a steady state before the procedure, but may be flexible considering your desire to heal more completely before your return to work.  You may want to write him a letter expressing your thoughts and giving him an opportunity to reply.  I would also suggest that you are certain that another child is not in the future.

Bradley Remington, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon