Is it normal to swell in places you haven't had Lipo?

Hello, I had liposculptuere a week ago to my waist (ribs,hips) but my belly is looking round and swollen. I just wonder if this is normal? I had a review with my PS in a few days but wondering if I an get a quick answer before hand. Thank you

Sweeling after Liposuction or liposculpture

Yes it is absolutely normal and it should go away very fast. First day after surgery you might see the changes more than one week after when swelling has accumulated.  We strongly recommend massage therapy and lunatic drainage as soon as possible. Probably next day after surgery is the best option. This post op should at least remain for one week. After 14 days your own body will start all antinflamatory  response and that will go on for 2 to 3 months.  

Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is normal

It is normal to swell to a certain extent in the areas that surround the liposuction because of local movement of the fluid.  It its also common to have generalized swelling because of the fluid shift that is occurring globally.  All of this will resolve.  Some in the first few weeks, some over 6 months.

Thank you for your question. It is smart for you to ask this question of many different sources. Please consult with your board certified facial surgeon (as you plan to do in a few days) and write down all of your questions beforehand so you leave the office with clarity. Keep in mind that the SculpSure procedure can vanquish up to 25% of your unwanted stubborn subcutaneous fat in the belly and flank areas as a supplement to liposculpture.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is not uncommon to have swelling in areas where liposuction has not been performed in the several days following surgery. Swelling is a normal part of healing not to mention that most likely a significant amount of fluid have been placed under your skin at the time of liposuction. This can shift and cause swelling in adjacent areas. Often, the body retains salt after a surgery which increases swelling. This can be seen in arms and legs also. Your surgeon will examine you and discuss this with you.

Post Liposuction Swelling Is Normal – Try Massage, Velashape, Venus Legacy, Compression Garment

Fluid retention and swelling is absolutely normal after liposuction. You can expect that to last about two weeks. You can help alleviate the swelling by wearing your compression garment. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. Continue to follow your physicians post-operative protocol for optimal results. Best, Dr. Emer

Is it normal to swell in places you haven't had lipo?

Thank you for your excellent question. It is not uncommon to have swelling take place in areas of your body in and around those that underwent liposuction, due either to migration of the fluid placed during your surgery, or gravity's effects during the healing process.  Hope this helps.

Swelling in other areas

Hope you are doing wellYes, its normal to have swelling in other areas of the body other then the areas you actually had lipo to.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction swelling on areas not included in the surgery

Yes, that is fairly common after liposuction.  Take note that fluid retention and swelling are supposed to resolve after about two weeks. I hope that helps and good luck.