Do I need a lift or just BA? I've seen 2 surgeons and had 2 different opinions - I'm so confused. Please help. (photos)

I'm a 44 y/o mother of 3. I went and saw a PS who said I didn't need a lift and suggested a tear drop 350cc mid profile implant dual plane. I went to get 2nd opinion and he told me that I did require a lift and suggested 350cc round implants , high profile on top of the muscle . How can I get 2 entirely different opinions? I want a natural look and wish to restore fullness and would like to go back to a full C cup. Your professional opinion would be appreciated .

Lift or Not?

Hi Missy, it can be hard to tell just from photos, but here is a useful test you can do: when you put your hands on your head, if your breasts still hang over the fold beneath your breasts, then you are more likely to need a lift. If they don't hang, then less likely.

I would not recommend high profile round implants on top of the muscle if you want a natural look, but each surgeon has different ideas on what works best.

If you're not sure what to do, get another opinion.

Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney

Lifting procedure with implants

Thanks for your photos. Based on them, in my opinion ,you will need absolutely a lifting procedure together with implants and the size should be 350 cc which will be enough to achieve a C cup. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best Regards

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Lift or lift with implants?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will get very nice results.

Patients who goes to a consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".

Implants alone will correct drooping when:

1. Breast drooping is mild
  2. The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
  3. There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger

A breast lift (with or without an implant) is better when:

1. Breast drooping is moderate or severe
  2. The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
  3. There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
  5. The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced

I also show the patient photographs of a spectrum of breast scar present after a breast lift in order to check their tolerance for this scar. Most patients are surprised how little the scar shows and are okay with proceeding. If the patient really needs a breast lift, but is concerned about the scars, I will suggest they wait on surgery. In time the breast appearance problems will usually outweigh their concern about the scars.

I use implants in combination with a lift when:

1. The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
  2. The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
  3. The drooping is severe..... I recommend to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a personal evaluation and also to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD