How important is post op care for BA?

I have been researching plastic surgeons for BA. There seems to be a big discrepancy in price but also the care provided post op. Some see you a week later, some not until 8 weeks after but a nurse sees you at 2 weeks etc. What is standard and if all is straightforward what is necessary?

After care after surgery

You should be concerned if your surgeon doesn't see you for weeks after the surgery. In my practice you see your surgeon 6 days after surgery, then another 3 weeks, then another 6 weeks, then every few months until 1 year after your surgery. This is covered by your surgery fee, and there are no extra costs. Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

Post op care

Most importantly is that the team you choose actually cares about your progress not short term but long term . It does not matter if they say 1 day later , then 1 week then 6 months then every 2 years - so long as you get the impression that they are insisting in long term follow up as bodies and breast and breast implants can change long term. All surgeons will have slightly different protocols - there is no right or wrong one

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Post Op Care following Breast Augmentation Surgery

Every surgeon will ask for different follow up and post op instructions to follow. Most important thing to remember is to FOLLOW their instructions. First follow up appointment is usually within one week of surgery. You may see the nurse or the surgeon. Be sure to always choose a board certified plastic surgeon none the less. Best of luck,

Post op care

Post operative care will vary by surgeon.  It is an important part of the surgical process.  The surgeon will be able to assess how you are progressing through recovery, answer questions about changes in activity levels such as exercise, and have the opportunity to detect any issues early.  

Camille Cash, MD

Breast Augmentation

Every surgeon is different in how they manage a patient post operatively.  In my practice I see my patients at 48 hours post op then, one week, three weeks, six weeks, three months and any time thereafter as necessary.  This is a basic routine, but  it can vary and there is no right or wrong.  

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Importance and variation in Post-op care

Thank you for your question!

Post-operative recovery after surgery is a crucial part of getting the best results, and it should not be rushed nor underestimated. In fact, as a patient, you must diligently follow your surgeon’s instructions and take good care of yourself to ensure your body has sufficient time to heal and look its best. For example, you may have to do breast massages, avoid high impact exercise involving the upper body, and even wear a compression bandage for extra support or an elastic band over the upper side of the breasts for 2-4 weeks to avoid the implants from moving upward. Remember, it’s not over till the fat lady sings (at 6 weeks).

Something you may have overlooked is that recovery is tailored not only to the type of surgery, but the technique used in the surgery. As the technique often varies between us surgeons, so does the recovery instructions. However, the main portion of the instructions remains consistent and I describe that below.

The time required for recovery can depend on many factors including your pain tolerance, your healing abilities, the implant placement, and the type of work you do. 

Your ability to deal with pain will be the biggest factor in determining the time-off work you require. If you have high pain tolerance and are prescribed appropriate pain medications, then your recovery will be more tolerable, more pleasant, and you will return to regular activities sooner.

Furthermore, placement of your implant behind the pectoralis major muscle may prolong the recovery period while also lengthening the period when you see your final results. The positive of going behind the muscle is the additional coverage for the implants which reduces chances of implant visibility, and it is also thought to lower the risk of capsular contracture.

Depending on the type of work you do and how you feel, you will at least require 3-7 days off, although it varies between individuals. Suppose you do light administrative work, then you may be able to get back to work in a couple of days assuming you are off strong pain medications.

As for what you can expect for recovery, I provide a general overview below:

For the 1st few days you will feel fatigue and mostly sore in the upper body and you will feel tightness, swelling, and pain in your breasts as your implants will force the skin to adjust to the size changes. You may also experience slight and temporary loss in breast and nipple sensation, and you may be required to take anti-inflammatory medications and antibiotics to reduce the risk of infections. If you have small children you probably want someone to be around to help you during the first few days.  You'll find it difficult to lift them up and carry them, not to mention feel very tired to look after small children.

In the weeks and months following surgery, you will come for frequent follow-ups to ensure your scars are healing beautifully, to ensure breast implants settle in as expected, and to make sure you do not have any complications with your perfect breast augmentation.

Normally, it is recommended not to do heavy lifting of greater than 10 lbs for the first 3 weeks. After 2-3 weeks, you should be able to begin your light exercise routine, such as brisk walking, cycling, aerobics and lower-body weight training.

You should work to slowly increase your activity level. This will be dependent on your own perception of how well you feel. Any minute you feel an activity is causing pressure or causing you to feel stretch in your breasts, then stop the activity. Point to note is that you want to avoid using your chest muscles.

If your implants are placed behind the pec major muscle, then you will also have to avoid any exertion or strenuous activity that requires use of the upper body (e.g., chest, arms) for at least 6 weeks. This includes but is not limited to running, push-ups, pull-ups, and weight-lifting. Even when you return to high impact upper-body exercises, many surgeon may advise on the importance of supporting your breasts with snug fitting sports bra.

You can expect your breasts to remain swollen for 1 month or longer, and you may wear regular bras after 1 month, but will have to continue wearing sports bra during bedtime for 2-4 weeks extra.

After 3-6 months, your final results may appear. Patient is key, and this is important to remember.

Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

You should know that implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio, and the nipples will move up higher.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates.

Your plastic surgeon may recommend breast massages as in the case of smooth implants which initially ride high to speed recovery and achieve the desired results quicker. It likely that your results may change with pregnancy, weight gain, and menopause.

As always, please call and discuss with your plastic surgeon. Their instructions should take precedence as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope that helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Postoperative breast augmentation care.

Every surgeon manages their patients differently. I see my patients at one week and one month and then it three-month intervals up to year. Patients can come to the office any time they wish for follow-up without charge.

Post op care

Thank you for your question.  Post operative care instructions will vary from one surgeon to another.  Best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to address your specific concerns.  Good luck.

Post operative care

Every surgeon has his/her protocol for postoperative care based on his/her experience, training, and the type of implants used. I would suggest finding a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that you are comfortable with and follow his/her instructions.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon