Implant type; Are you able to tell me what the differences are/are either of them better?

Hi, I'm currently trying to choose between two surgeons. The main difference between the two is that one uses mentor and one uses polytech. I can't find very much info on polytech and had never heard of them before. Are you able to tell me what the differences are/are either of them better? Thank you!

The main difference.

Hi Abbie, sorry I'm late to the answer. I just wonder if the implant manufacturer really is the main difference between the 2 surgeons. I feel like it's the equivalent of saying the main difference between a mouse and an elephant is that the elephant has 7 more thoracic vertebrae...you might be missing the bigger picture. I wonder if you should be making a comparison list and seeing if you can find any other differences. Cost, postop care, qualifications, experience, how long have they been using those implants, how much do they pay for the implants, why do they choose to use those implants...etc etc. Good luck.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Mentor implants

We use Mentor implants.  The polytech implants are not available in the United States for breast augmentation.  Mentor produces an excellent product.

Breast implants

Hello and thank you for your question. Polytech is not FDA approved in the US.  These implants are available in Australia.  The size/shape/texture of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Implant type - which is better Mentor or Polytech

Thank you for your question.  As one of only three silicone breast implant manufacturers in the US, Mentor supplies patients with a wide range of size and style options with good historical safety studies.  Polytech implants are not approved for use in the US.  Though a consideration please be sure to only see board certified plastic surgeons and focus on their ability to perform the procedure you want more than the implant manufacturer.  Hope this helps.