I was told by surgeons I am a borderline case and I would benefit from augmentation only. Is this the case?

I am 24, looking at having BA .. Do you think I also need a lift?. With an argumentation only will my breast still be saggy?.

Borderline for lift

You must decide if simply being larger and fuller is good enough and if so, then you do not need the lift.  BUT if you want a perkier look with more fullness on top, a lift could certainly provide that for you but it will also result in more costs and scarring that you have to be accepting of.

Breast Augment or Lift

Hello and thank you for your question.

In my opinion, the short answer is that the best result would be obtained with both procedures.

However, the long answer is that a n umber of factors need to be taken into account when making your decision. You do sit in that grey area, and having a lift involves more cuts on your chest wall. But then a lift means a more perky result.
It's going to depend on what you really want, and which set of factors will work best for you.
In my practice, when I have a patient like you, the discussion is essential. I need to listen to, and understand what it is you are hoping to achieve. Then, after my measurements and assessing which implants will work best for your size and shape, I need to take time to explain to you your options, and the pros and cons of each one. Sometimes there is only 1 surgical option, but for you, its a discussion so that we both understand each other and what can realistically be achieved.

I hope this has been of value for you.

Do you think I also need a lift?

It appears that your nipple position is lower than average. If you desire larger breasts- then get implants. If you desire perkier breasts- then you will need a lift -- possible with implants as well. Remember: implants do not lift or create perkier breasts.

Do I need a breast lift?

Thank you for your question and photos.  Yes, you are definitely in the gray area.  The need for a lift will depend on the size of the implant and ultimately the look you are going for.  Simply adding an implant will make the breasts larger but unless you go with a relatively large implant, you can have the potential for some breast tissue to sag over the top of the implant.  If you are interested in the best shape for your breast, a lift may be beneficial. If you are against the scar, you could always to the augmentation and see how your shape is and then add a lift at a second stage.  Best advice is to follow the recommendation of your surgeon who has spent the most time evaluating you.  
Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation With or Without Lift?

I think that you surgeon is correct and that you are a borderline case. I do think that you will still have some droppiness if you have an augmentation alone. Your surgeon should be able to show you cases that are similar to yours who have had an augmentation alone versus an augmentation and a lift. That way you can gain some understanding regarding what each operation can accomplish. 

Breast augmentation without lift

Based on the photographs, you do have some sagging.  The decision regarding a lift needs to be made by you with the plastic surgeon based on your expectations and their technical abilities.   You could have an implant alone, but should be aware that you will still have some sagging after surgery.  I think a lift would be overly aggressive, but I would have to make sure that I understood your goals before making a recommendation.

Borderline case...

An augmentation and lift will give you an improved shape, uplifted breasts, and better cleavage.  It will also leave you with a scar.  An augmentation alone will not raise your nipples and your cleavage will be limited.  However, no scar will be visible.  One option would be to perform an augmentation and wait several months prior to making the decision regarding the lift.  Best wishes and take care.

Shayne Webb, MD

A borderline case with ptotic (sagging) breasts.

• The photos you provided indicate that you do have some ptosis.  With the examination by an experienced plastic surgeon, the decision to use implants without any lift procedure might be made.
  • We inform patients with longer breasts that augmentations will create longer and larger breasts.  Whether or not this is acceptable to you must be determined with a candid discussion with your surgeon. The scars of a lift may affect your decision making process.
    There is no harm getting a second opinion with another plastic surgeon if you are unsure.......

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon