I had rectocele/vaginal tightening surgery 6 days ago and gyno stuck duckbills and took a swab. Will this ruin my operation?

The doctor in emergency thought i might have an infection so he had a good look inside with those pap smear dick bill things. I thought this might wreck the work my gyno has done in the surgery. Is this bad? Will it stretch me or pull out stitches? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Speculum exam after recent vaginoplasty

It would be highly unusual for a speculum to disrupt a suture line in the first few weeks unless the tissues were very weak to begin with and only a few superficial sutures were placed.

Rectocoele Repair

A speculum exam should not damage the repair.  The sutures should have been placed securely.  An infection or hematoma, however, could cause the repair to weaken or break down.  If you are still having signs of infection, you should follow up with your surgeon for a proper evaluation.

Daniel Sternfeld, MD
Laguna Hills OB/GYN

Speculum exam after vaginoplasty

If you didn't feel ripping and didn't have any bleeding after the exam, I think you are okay.  Usually, the sutures are placed in layers for strength.
My best,
Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD