I am after some advice about loose neck skin that I have developed in the last year or so. I'm 38 years old. (photos)

A non-invasive skin tightening treatment such as the Titan laser may help.

If you are in the early stages of developing neck laxity, a non-invasive skin tightening treatment such as the Titan laser may help. If the laxity is more pronounced, a surgical procedure such as a mini lift may be indicated. Please visit a board-certified facial plastic surgeon for a consultation to see what the best treatment plan for you is. I hope this helps.

Loose Skin

Hi Bluemuppett

Thanks for your post. You seem to have some asymmetry but this may be because of the way the photo's were taken. Without a full consult it is difficult to assess what would be best for you.

It would be good if you went and saw a qualified and experienced surgeon to go over what options you have.

Good Luck

Non surgical neck rejuvenation options

Thanks for sharing. In general, current neck and lower face rejuvenation treatments include:

1. Surgical Neck lift* with a Lower Facelift would be the gold standard and gets the best overall results
  2. Surgical Neck lift* which removes skin from behind the ears and back hairline would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and/or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient. (A platysmaplasty can be added for further muscle tightening)
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
  6. Botox to the platysma bands to decrease their activity and show
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

It looks like you are lying down so hard to get accurate assessment. Based on the image and your age, it may be a little early for neck lifting.  Botox may help hide the bands and ultherapy to tighten the skin. But, a platysmaplasty could be an option as well. would talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck rejuvenation to discuss your options in person

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Loose neck skin in a 38 year old

Most plastic surgeons will recommend avoiding neck lift surgery for loose neck skin, until an appropriate age. For younger patients, surgeons may recommend waiting or trying non-surgical alternatives first. Non-surgical treatments such as Ulthera or Thermage might be help tighten the skin a little until you're ready for neck lift surgery. An alternative non-surgical treatment to also consider is Botox to help treat mild platysma bands. There isn't yet a good alternative to surgery for those you have significant skin laxity.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non invasive options first

You have early laxity to the neck generally not seen until one's late 40s or 50s.  Multiple treatments are available I favor ultherapy.  Other options include Vaser, Thermage, Thermilift, Venus, and laser lipolysis.   These can have some reasonable success.  However, if there isn't improvement then a neck lift would be needed.

David Q. Santos, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport

You can try non invasive options first with thermiRF, VASER lipo, ultherapy and botox.  However, often surgery is needed if you have a lot of laxity.  Pease see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.