Would my breasts require a lift as well as implants, or will implants be enough to get the look I desire? (photos)

Hi! Thanks in advance for your help. After a year of breastfeeding my breasts have reduced significantly in size and skin has lost elasticity. I wanted teardrop implants with a natural look (abit of drop and more volume at the base of the breast). But looking at my breasts as they are I wasn't sure if they may require a breast lift?

Implants vs lift

Hi Fluffybunny

Your photos look like you will do fine with implants alone. I would suggest that you consider anatomical (teardrop) implants as they are more likely to accommodate your existing breast skin shape. You may need to go bigger than smaller so that you fill your existing skin envelope.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Breast implants

From looking at your pictures it appears you could likely have a nice result from just breast implants alone. However, I would need to examine you in person to determine for sure if just implants will be enough, or if adding the breast lift as well will truly give you the best results. I recommend consulting in person with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast enhancement procedures so you can make sure you get the outcome you are dreaming of. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Breast lift not needed

Thank you for your question. It does not appear from your photos that you need a breast lift. With a modest size implant you will get about the same result with a round or teardrop implant. Discuss your specific goals with your plastic surgeon and chose your implant size wisely.  I think you will have a very nice result. I hope all goes well. Enjoy your little one. 
Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants

Thanks for your question. Yes, I would expect that you would likely get a very nice result with an implant alone. I would definitely suggest starting with that. The breast lift can always be added later down the road, if you ever need it. I would recommend finding a trusted PS near you for a consultation. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Would my breasts require a lift as well as implants, or will implants be enough to get the look I desire?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, it appears that you can achieve a natural look with breast augmentation alone.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Lift with or without implants

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will get very nice results, contact a board certified plastic surgeon, I recommend you soft cohesive silicone implants about 350 cc's you will look pretty and they will be perky.

Patients who goes to a consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".

Implants alone will correct drooping when:
  1. Breast drooping is mild
  2. The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
  3. There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger
A breast lift (with or without an implant) is better when:
  1. Breast drooping is moderate or severe
  2. The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
  3. There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
  5. The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced
I also show the patient photographs of a spectrum of breast scar present after a breast lift in order to check their tolerance for this scar. Most patients are surprised how little the scar shows and are okay with proceeding. If the patient really needs a breast lift, but is concerned about the scars, I will suggest they wait on surgery. In time the breast appearance problems will usually outweigh their concern about the scars.

I use implants in combination with a lift when:
  1. The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
  2. The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
  3. The drooping is severe..... I recommend to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a personal evaluation and also to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast lift vs breast implants

The decision to perform a breast lift really has to do with the position of the nipple in relation to the position of the inframammary fold. Your nipple position actually looks correct, which means that you really only have volume loss after breastfeeding. The skin is loose, but choosing the right breast implant should be able to take up most of the excess. If it doesn't, then some element of lifting would need to also be done.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy versus augmentation

Often implants can help improve the VOLUME of a breast and they do also affect the shape of the breast, soon after surgery and even down the road. Often a mastopexy is used to change the SHAPE of a breast. Sometimes these procedures can be done at the same time and sometimes they are staged, meaning they are done at two different times. Good luck! MMT

Thank you for your question and photos.   I usually begin my discussion with a patient trying to identify their goals. If you are happy with your current volume but want your breasts up higher then a lift alone may be sufficient. If on the other hand you feel that the volume in your bra is inadequate then you may be seeking a lift and augmentation. Options for augmentation are implants or using fat grafting techniques. These are questions that should be addressed with your surgeon during a face to face consultation. Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. Good Luck!

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon