Bad stitching after gynecomastia? (photos)

I did my surgery under local anaesthetic and was awake for the entire operation. At the end, the surgeon used me to teach the nurse how to stitch up the wound. He did one and then watched as she nervously did the other. Im 17 days post op and the nipple she stitched is healing in an awkward way. Its very rough around the edges and almost sticking out. Should i be worried?

Healing and Recovery After Your Gynecomastia Procedure

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process after #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.  Also, #asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery due to the nature of each breast to heal differently from each other.

As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Talk to your doctor

Talk to your doctor about your concerns.  Massage or scar treatments may be recommended.
If the areas of concern are still a problem, you doctor will most likely be happy to revise it.

Bad stitching under the areola

Stitching of the areola is an important component to gynecomastia surgery; if you are not happy with your results just let your surgeon know and he will revise it for you. Hard to tell from the photo if it will look all right. Please see examples below of how this area should heal.

Arian Mowlavi, MD