How soon after a Tummy Tuck without MR can you start abdominal exercises?

I am 9 days post op i had a tummy tuck just skin removal no MR and I feel great. I know recovery is really important but I'm wondering when I can start light crunches?

Exercise after tummy tuck

I tell my patients that 6-8 weeks or so should pass before they get back to abdominal exercises, especially if muscle repair has been performed. However, ask your surgeon what they advise since it might be different.

Post-Op Tummy Tuck Healing

After surgery, most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can usually return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. It is a good idea to allow swelling to go away before returning to full exercise. If you have any questions as to the healing process it is good to follow-up with your surgeon to ensure you are moving along well after your procedure.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise by six weeks following a tummy tuck.   it is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck in your recovery.

Exercise After Tummy Tuck and MR

Dear Ariari888,

In my opinion, you should wait a full six week before considering and/or starting abdominal exercises after tummy tuck with muscle repair.  This will allow time for adequate healing so that the contour of the abdomen is maintained as well as the strength of the repair.  Best wishes.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS.  Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Starting abdominal exercises after tummy tuck

I am assuming that by no MR you mean no "muscle repair" or in other words you had a skin only abdominoplasty. If that is the case, I tell my patients 3-4 weeks post op before they can engage in "core" type exercises such as crunches. In my full abdominoplasty patients, no core exercises for 6-8 weeks. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Post tummy tuck

This is a question for your surgeon as everyone has different post op instructions and their reasons for them. Contact his or her office, they are your best resource at this time. Best wishes. 

Dean Vistnes, MD.

Vistnes Plastic Surgery

San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #realself #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon