Acne Scarring Help! Fraxel? (Photo)

I suffered severe Acne in my late pregnancy and even more so after the birth of my son, Ive never had skin problems prior. The 'active' Acne has seemed to have sorted itself and I only get a few spots here or there but have been left with very enlarged clogged pores and scaring on both sides of the face. Would I be a good candidate for Fraxel?

Fraxel for acne scarring

Congratulations on the birth of your son! Yes, Fraxel will help with the acne scarring. It will also decrease the size of your pores and in general improve skin tone and texture. You will require a series of treatments (4-6 sessions spaced 1 month apart). 

Acne Scarring Help! Fraxel?

Hi Becky, Congratulations on the birth of your son. Yes, you will absolutely benefit from at least 6 Fraxel treatment sessions.  These will decrease your scarring and improve your pore size. You must be willing to wear sunblock every day with multiple reapplications and follow all the of the post care instructions. Good luck, Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Combination approach works best for acne scarring.

To answer your question its all in the video. Like others I prefer a combination approach. I do not like Fraxel fro acne scarring (reasons outlined in the video). Agree with Dr Weiner regarding INFINI, this is a far superior treatment than Fraxel, especially in ethnic skin types. Faster recovery, better results, less complications. I usually combine this with PRP. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne Scar Treatment -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2, Erbium), Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Surgical Revision

A combination approach would be best. I recommend a combination of lasers, microneedling/PRP, fillers, possibly TCA cross. A formal in person consultation is needed.  A new treatment microneedling/RF called intensif does great for your skin type as well. There are many options but all will require a series of treatments.  See an expert for a formal consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Improving acne scars

I have found the Infini to be far superior for acne scars than the Fraxel. I switch about 3 years ago when I was happier with the Infini results. It takes about 3 treatments. Other treatments include: PRP, subcision, TCA Cross too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

#Acne and #Fraxel

Sorry to hear about your acne issues. Judging from your photo you'd be a reasonable candidate for Fraxel laser treatment. This treatment will help to smooth the skin and reduce the pitting. You will likely require more than one treatment (I typically recommend between 3-5 treatments for acne scars). Additionally, you can consider other adjuvant treatments including dermal filler (to help level the depressions) and PRP (platelet rich plasma) to help improve healing. Good luck, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon