3 days BA post-op. Is 2x 4.5km walk (9km total/day) too much this soon?

I'm 3 days post-op from Breast Augmentation. Up until surgery I was regularly running 50km/wk + 3-4 bootcamps/weight training. Would someone with my level of fitness be ok to walk 4.5km morning/evening (9km/day) at approx. 9.5-10min/km this soon after surgery if feeling ok? I did it today & it felt easy & I felt great. Whilst walking up steep hill my heart reached 130bpm. I later read something about raising heart rate within 1st wk or 2 is a risk for hematoma. Could walking like this be a risk?

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Exercise afte breast augmentations

you should not be doing such extensive exercise so soon after breast augmentation. Your implants need to settle in the correct place and this takes a few weeks of rest. Each surgeon has different recommendations, so you should check with your surgeon. Regards, Dr Steve Merte, Sydney

Vigorous walking 3 days after breast augmentation surgery?

I believe the walking you are describing could increase the risk of hematoma or postoperative bleeding. I advise my patients not to have sex for the first week after surgery for the same reason. By the 21st day after surgery my patients are good to go for running, aerobics, lower body weights, and swimming. Hope this information is helpful and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to. Having said that, I would share your concerns that an elevated heart rate, this early out of surgery can be potentially problematic ( risk for bleeding/hematoma).  In my practice, I ask patients not to engage in activities that elevate heart rate, for the first two weeks after breast surgery.

Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively. Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press, burpees, dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months. 

Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion.  Again, "listen to your body" as you do so. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.