Swollen eyelid 7 days post-op for excess skin removal and ptosis. How long will it stay like this? (photo)

Hi i am post surgery on 7th day for excess skin removal and ptosis. I just had my stitch remove today but the crease of the double eyelid is so thick and unnatural. The doctor say he use my original.double eyelid as the line but the result now seems way too thick of the crease area. Can i know if my eyelid is swollen or the doctor cut the crease too thick or high up. If its swollen can i know how long do i need to recover?

Swelling after eyelid surgery

Hi. Recovery time after blepharoplasty and ptosis repair can be highly variable from patient to patient, but typically lasts several weeks, and occasionally several months. The swelling in your photo appears completely normal for 1 week post op. Obviously a photo on the internet is not enough to give accurate medical advice, and you need to follow up with your surgeon regarding your recovery. Hope this helps. Best regards, Ira Vidor, M.D.

Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after eyelid surgery..very variable

When  you have eyelid surgery swelling is very variable. On average most patients will have a decrease swelling in about one week to 10 days. I tell my patients that if they have a very important function to go to they should count on one month for safety. When you have ptosis repair you will have more swelling than if you just had a cosmetic blepharoplasty. Patience is a virtue and ultimately your result will be worth it!

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op Swelling

Hi Jen50509,

Thanks for your question. Based on your photo, I'd say you have a completely normal amount of swelling for only being 1 week out from surgery. This swelling will distort the lid crease slightly, which is likely exactly in the position it should be. Typically, swelling resolves after 2-3 weeks. 

If you have significant questions/concerns, I wouldn't hesitate to contact your surgeon. But based on your photo, you appear to be healing quite normally. Hope this helps!