Could different incisions after upper lid blepharoplasty cause different shape of my eyes after?

4-th day after surgery I noticed that the incisions of my eyes are little bit different. On the right eye is shorter and almond shaped, the left is bit longer and rounded. At this stage my right eye looks rounder then the other and is more swollen. Does this difference in the incisions makes my eyes look uneven when the swelling goes down? My concerns are about to not have both eyes different shape after healing process is over, because before they were absolutely simetrical.

Where are the incisions for blepharoplasty

While incision design is critical to the outcome, differential healing and swelling may make the two sides appear different when they are not.

Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Patience Please!

Eyelid incisions require extreme precision and symmetry. That being said, 4 days is not enough time to make any judgements! Eyelid surgery requires at least 3-6 months to heal before symmetry can be assessed fully.  The eyelids tend to be forgiving and so I hope yours will heal nicely. Eyelid incisions can be revised but I wouldn't think about that for at least 12 months. Best regards.

Damon B. Chandler, MD
Moorestown Oculoplastic Surgeon

The incision design is absolutely critical.

Time is very helpful here.  You should consider posting photographs here so we can be more concrete in our answers.  Generally it is critical to let these eyelids heal.  If they are unsatisfactory after 6 to 12 months, then it is possible to revise the eyelids if necessary.

Incisions and blepharoplasty

At this point in time, it is too early to tell long term effects as each eye will swell differently during the healing process.  Sometimes we make minor modifications during surgery to the incisions depending on how much skin/etc. needs to be done on each particular eye - keeping in mind that overall symmetry is of utmost importance! For now, don't worry about it.  Things will settle down and, remember, when in doubt, you can always ask your PS why things were done in certain ways as I am sure they have a perfectly good reason and are more than happy to go over things with you.  Best of luck on your recovery!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon