Looking bloated and fatter. Is it normal? (Photo)

So I used to be overweight and had a small amount of loose skin, not much rarely visible but as a fitness model sometimes it would bother me and I was having surgery for my foot, I decided to get it out as I will be inactive for 6 weeks. Issue is I find it's created a sort of shelf and it's filled with I think water giving me a bulge. I am 6 weeks post op soon, and I know it's early. My scar is very hard so I've started getting lymphatic massages twice a week. Is it normal?

Swelling vs fluid collection

Hello and thank you for your question. The photo you have posted is a little helpful in answering your question but a few more views and a before picture would help significantly. Based on the information you have provided I am assuming you had liposuction performed? If so, then this could possible be one of 2 things. Either you still have normal swelling after surgery. This can take around 3-6 months to really go down. However, by 6 weeks you should see a difference from immediately post operatively. The other thing this could be is whats called a seroma. This is a fluid collection under your skin and fat. If this is the case then it needs to be addressed. You should go back and share your concerns with your plastic surgeon ASAP so they can determine whether this is in fact a seroma. The longer a seroma goes untreated the harder it is to get rid of. I hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Looking bloated and fatter. Is it normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  I see your area of concern and most commonly this is a result of swelling to the tissues which should resolve spontaneously given enough time.  It would be important to rule out a potential fluid collection, which would require treatment in your surgeon's office, so be sure to voice your concerns to him/her.  Best wishes.