Nose still crooked after surgery. Any suggestions?

My rhinoplasty is exactly one week ago and my nose looks still crooked. I had the surgery because my nose was very crooked and I also had bad breathing problems. After the surgery I was really happy but yesterday I went to see my surgeon and he took off my cast. At home I noticed that my nose still looks crooked, it's much better than it was before though. Is my nose going to be straight or not? My parents said it's probably because it's swollen but I'm not sure.

Rhinoplasty One Week Recovery

Thank you for your question about recovery from rhinoplasty.

Pictures would be helpful. At 1 week, it is too soon to make any determinations.

For specific questions about your recovery, it is generally best to speak with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in person consultation.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

Still crooked after surgery!

Crooked noses  are the most difficult rhinoplasty procedure done. I will tell my patients that it's going to be more difficult to straighten out their nose than to take a bump off their nose. I think you are still very swollen.  As the swelling goes down very often the nose will appear straighter. If you are very concerned you should talk to your doctor and ask him what his expectations are that way you don't have to think about it. I'm glad that it's better than before as it should be. 

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. I agree with your parents and surgeon - you are very early in the healing process and will notice the marked improvements at the 9-12 month post op mark and oftentimes, even longer. At this point, is imperative that you minimize your swelling. Please keep your board certified facial plastic surgeon up-to-date as to your recovery.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon