Is This Swelling or Tissue? (photo)

hey, i have had gynocomastia surgery 4 months ago on the left side, where my gyno was. but it has been 4 months and i still dont see any difference at all. i was so happy when i entered the surgery room, but now i feel like hell. is this normal? i have read that it could take 6 months to heal, but at my point i dont know if there is something to heal. please give me some advise

Swelling vs Tissue Post Op

It may very well be swelling depending on when your surgery was. Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. But if this causes concern, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Concerns after Surgery for Gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

At this stage in your recovery, the majority of “swelling” should have resolved. In other words, although you may not be seeing the final results of surgery which may take several additional months (and even up to one year) to see you should be able to appreciate some difference from your preoperative status.

Of course, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you more specifically;  if after following up with him/her you still have concerns, seeking a  2nd opinion in person (with board certified plastic surgeons) will be more helpful to you than online consultants can be.

Gynecomastia healing can take time

Thanks for your question.  Often the hardest part of the post operative healing process is to wait for the results to manifest.  This is particularly true of gynecomastia cases.  It looks like your  problem was primarily one of excess tissue under the areola.  Presumably this is where the majority of the work is done and therefore where the majority of the swelling will be.  

You didnt mention whether  you had liposuction only or if there was also direct excision of breast tissue under the areola.  I do feel that most cases like this will require that.  Nevertheless, my feeling is that it is too soon to tell and that there should be slow but continued improvement in the months ahead.

Hang in there,

Doug Hargrave, M. D.

Post op swelling 4 months

Thanks for your post and detailed pictures.  It is hard to tell how much residual tissue you have on your left side (the right side of the picture)  There are two ways to tell how much tissue remains.  1.  compare your preop photos with your current state  2.  direct physical examination:  from your photos you appear to be on the younger side.  Do you feel any tissue directly underneath your nipple areolar complex on the left?  Does it feel different than the right side?  At 4 months on average about 85% of the residual swelling is gone from surgery it takes at least one year to  be completely recovered.  The only other question that I have is what technique as employed to treat your gynecomastia, there are liposuction only techniques, liposuction with direct excision, and direct excisional techniques.  That being said, the commonality of all of these techniques is not to over resect which will leave you an unnatural appearance to your chest with the nipple areolar complex often time adherent to your chest which is more difficult to treat than resecting a small amount of tissue in the office.  Lastly, have you been followed for that mole in the center of your abdomen.  I couldn't help noticing this and wanted you to make sure you pay attention to this area should there ever be any changes.  If in doubt about your procedure, please go see your plastic surgeon and have him evaluate this area.