Is Swelling of the Areolar Common After Gynocomastia Surgery?? (photo)

I had surgery for gynocomastia one week ago..I had my staples removed yesterday on one side..the other is swollen because it had some infection in it (words of my surgeon) and I am on a medication to correct this, but I wanted to know is my areolar swollen and if so how do I help resolve the swelling. Or is it not swollend and I'm just stuck with puffy areolar glands?? Can someone please help me..also if it is just swelling is there a way I can tell by touching it?

Swelling, Scars & Nipple Concerns Following Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling After Gynocomastia Surgery

Swelling post gynecomastia is common. Express your concerns to your surgeon. However, trust his or her guidance as he or she understand the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Swelling normal after gynecomastia excision.

I don't see any problems with what I see in the photographs. I personally do not like closing incisions with Staples.

Is Swelling of the Areolar Common After Gynocomastia Surgery??

It is ONLY 1 week!!! Allow the area to heal over the next 3 months. You might consider massages or external ultrasound therapy. 

Areolar swelling after a subcutaneous mastectomy.

If you are just one week out from your surgery then you swelling as a long way to go.   I am not familiar with the incision that your surgeon used to perform your subcutaneous mastectomy.   The most common approach is an infra-areolar semi-circular incision for the subcutaneous mastectomy combined with liposuction.  In this case your surgeon will be in the best position to answer this question. 

Areolar Swelling after Gynecomastia Reduction Surgery

You have had a most unusual gynecomastia reduction technique. Despite its unconventional nature, it takes a full three months for all swelling to go away and appreciate the final result.

Gynecomastia swelling

Your wound looks ok at this point in your recovery. Most plastic surgeons would have only cut the bottom of your areola, not the large incision across you entire breast. You are now going to have a large scar present on your breast.