Is This Much Swelling Correct After One Month of Gynecomastia Surgery? (photo)

i got my gynecomastia surgery done a month ago and still my chest skin is baggy is this swelling or some tissue left inside will this go or will be permanent for how long should i wear compression garment please reply

Healing and Swelling After Male Breast Reduction

After #Gynecomastia #surgery, your #incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Sagging skin and swelling

Have you been wearing a compression garment regularly? A garment helps to help the skin retract and control swelling when worn as advised. I suggest you see your surgeon to discuss the results. Although it can take months for the swelling to subside, I am considered about the sagging skin.

Is This Much Swelling Correct After One Month of Gynecomastia Surgery?

Best path is to ASK your operative surgeon the post op protocols for garment use. each of us have are own recommendations. 

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery

The amount of swelling can vary from patient to patient, and even from side to side in the same patient, so it's difficult to comment on your results based on one photo without any knowledge of your pre-operative appearance.  Your surgeon can likely answer best about your current situation and anticipated outcome.  That said, most gynecomastia surgeons use compression for at least 4 weeks after surgery to help manage the swelling.  Many of us use massage afterwards to help with swelling and scarring.  It takes a while for all of the swelling to go away, and I will generally defer any secondary intervention for at least 9 months to a year to allow for all swelling to fully resolve and for the skin to retract--to avoid that "baggy" appearance you describe.  The tightening process that follows liposuction is only in its earliest stages at 4 weeks after surgery, so that take a lot of time to improve. 

Speak with your surgeon for guidance on compression, and good luck.

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon