i have swelling under breasts with pockets of old blood inside, 2 weeks post op TT. Is this serious?

i am 2 weeks post op tummy tuck. i have done very well no swelling at the incision line . swelling is at the top under my breasts i have swelling w/ bruising. ps aspirated some. it was dark blood. she said it was just old blood.. is this serious. or normal.

Signs of a hematoma.

Old blood in a surgical site is usually a hematoma. These collections differ from normal postoperative swelling and sometimes become apparent after the swelling has resolved. Small collections will resolve over time without intervention. Large hematomas or expanding hematomas typically require surgery. Close follow up with your surgeon is the key.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post tummy tuck

This is probably old blood and should be cause for alarm.The fact that it is old dark clotted blood means it is not new and expanding.Make sure you follow  up with your plastic surgeon.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Tummy Tuck

Please contact your plastic surgeon's office and speak to a nurse and schedule an appointment to discuss your concern with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I have swelling under breasts with pockets of old blood inside, 2 weeks post op TT. Is this serious?

Very hard to respond in the few parameters you provided. Best to return to see the PS for more explanation... 

The pocket of blood is a potentially serious complication. This blood is called a hematoma. Hematomas can ruin the final shape but most importantly can become infected. It sounds like you had the right treatment. Follow your plastic surgeon's advice.

Earl Stephenson  Jr. MD D.D.S. FACS 

Hematoma after an abdominoplasty

It is possible to have an isolated hematoma after an abdominoplasty.  It sounds like you have been treated appropriately.  At your next follow up visit I would be certain that your plastic surgeon will recheck this area for a recurrence.