Gynecomastia Surgery - Is This Swelling or Just a Bad Lipo?

I had lipo and gynecomastia surgery 7 weeks ago and I looked great after two weeks. Since then I have ballooned back to my preop size. I saw my doctor again at the instruction of doctors on this site, he said it was edema and to be patient. Below is the picture of how I look now, does this look like someone who had liposuction gynecomastia, liposuction abdomen, and liposuction love handles? I just dont knowif he is BSing me. Thanks for any help

Puffy nipples after 7 weeks-What does it mean?

Every patient heals differently on some people the swelling subsides in months and in other it may take a year or more,it all depend on the complexity of the case.The fact that the swelling has improved initially is an encouraging Singh that the surgeon performed a good job.There may be factors,as scars formations that are not under the surgeon's control.

Gynecomastia and liposuction of abdomen and love handles: don't see much difference

If you were pleased with the immediate post-operative result it is very likely that you will achieve this result over the long term if oyu maintain your weight. Wait at least 6 months prior to assessing the results.

Swelling and Expectations After Male Breast Reduction

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Still Swelling?

Hi J1224,

Thank you for your post and the photo. To give even more of a guided answer, it would have been helpful to see a before photo. That being said, it is quite normal to have swelling at 7 weeks. Typically the first wave of swelling decreases over 4-6 weeks. Once patients begin increasing their activity and exercising, some may experience an increase in swelling. I would not make any final determination until you are closer to 6 months post surgery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Swelling after surgery

Without a before photo is is difficult to assess outcome.  In addition, it is still too early to tell.  Swelling will last for months. If the problem was gynecomastia, liposcution alone almost is never sufficient to remove tissue.  Breast tissue can't be "sucked out" like fat.  nonetheless, wait and follow up with your doc.

Tim Neavin, MD

I would advise to give the swelling more time to improve.  Communicate with your doctor.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Swelling May Take Up to 6 Months to Resolve; If the Problem Persists See Your Surgeon

It's not unusual for patients to experience swelling following surgery for gynecomastia. The majority of swelling resolves in four to six weeks, but may persist for up to six months.

It's encouraging that you were initially happy with the results of your surgery. This suggests that your areas of concern are probably related to swelling and should improve with time.

The use of compression garments and massage can help to minimize swelling and shorten the recovery period following surgery. It's important to start compression immediately after surgery before the swelling gets started. Once swelling occurs compression may not be as effective.

If this problem persists beyond six months it may be more than residual swelling. Under these circumstances, unresected glandular breast tissue may be a problem. This may ultimately require revisional surgery. It's important that you discuss these tissues with your surgeon. He will be able to make an appropriate recommendation. 

Swelling or inadequate result

It's normal to have swelling after the procedures you've had, but it is a good sign that you thought things looked good 2 weeks after surgery.  Nonetheless, management of the swelling with compression is helpful, though after 6 weeks, there's little evidence that it impacts the long-term results. It may improve the appearance acutely, so you may chose to wear it for that reason at this point.  It's best to speak with your surgeon, who can tell you how much fat was removed and may be able to give you a better sense of what your final results will be like. 

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

Post op of torso liposuction

If you had an excellent result 2 weeks after surgery and now see bulging, this is probably postoperative swelling which will take several months to dissipate. You may need to wear the compression garment. Continue to followup with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Gynecomastia correction results final at 4 months.

Hi.

The fact that you looked good right after surgery makes me very optimistic that this is in fact swelling.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)