Is it possible to tighten the muscles under the chin, in order to get a better looking profile in the neck area?

I am a 25 year old girl who are not satisfied with the profile of my neck, because I want it to be more defined. My doctor told me that could not do liposuchtion because I did not have any excess fat under the chin (nor excess skin). He said that the reason why my chin/neck was not defined was because I have weak muscles in the neck and that these had to be tightened in order to lift the neck upwards. Do you think that plastysmaplasty could help me whit this? Will the results will be permanent?

Surgery options

When looking into a procedure like this, you need to see what is causing what you don't like in the mirror. The things that can be address surgically are the skin, the fat and the muscle. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Facial Aesthetics for a consultation and more details. From these pictures it is hard to say what your best options are. 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Necklift in Young Adults

Thank you for your question. It would be helpful to see a picture to evaluate the potential success of a variety of procedures. I agree that you are too young to receive a liposuction or necklift. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Keep in mind that facial plastic surgery is like a treadmill. A facelift, for example, can make you appear ten years younger, but life (like a treadmill) will eventually age the surgery. In other words, if you have surgery at 40 years old and look like you are 30 years old, then when you are 50 years old, you will look like you are 40 years old.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improve appearance of the neck at age 25

Thank you for asking about your neck lift.
  • I think you need to see a plastic surgeon.
  • Without photos, one can't be sure but you may benefit from a chin implant and/or a central neck lift with platysmaplasty.
  • yes, results are permanent.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Neck lift

Thanks for your question. At only 25 years old, I cannot imagine that you would need a platysmaplasty. I'd be surprised if you might, instead, benefit from laser-assisted liposuction (Smartlipo). It would be worth a consultation from someone near you who performs that procedure. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Neck Contouring / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

Please post photos for further evaluation. There are many options for neck laxity but you need an inperson consultation to see if you are a candidate for something surgical like a chin implant or neck band surgery. Many noninvasive options such as thermage or ultherapy, botox, and fractional laser or RF can give signficant improvements. I suggest seeing a facial contouring expert for treatment. Best, Dr. Emer.

It is impossible to comment in whether a submentoplasty would be beneficial without seeing side profile pictures. Even in young people this neck muscle tightening procedure can help create a more defined cervicomental angle.

Defined neck

25 years old is young to have lax muscle under the neck.
if you do not like your profile sometimes a weak chin gives you a fuller neck appearance.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Improving your profile by addressing the muscles under the chin

Patients who don't have much fat in their neck, but desire to improve their profile may need to address loose muscle or skin. This is essentially a neck lift. 

A neck lift is customized to each patient. Liposuction, skin excision, and platysmaplasty (muscle tightening) are some of the techniques that may be used in combination to improve the profile. 

A consultation with the surgeon will give you the best idea of what techniques are applicable and safe for you. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightening The Neck

Hello! Thank you for sharing your question!

As with most cometic questions, the very best answer is difficult to reach without seeing a picture of what you are describing, or better yet seeing you in person. The best answer to loose muscles under the chin is most certainly a platysmaplasty or submentoplasty; however, at just 25, that is pretty young to have muscle laxity such as this. 

You may also be a good candidate for a chin implant. A chin implant can really bring balance to face while also reinforcing the structure under the chin and enhancing the jaw line. Chin implants have only a 1% infection rate and typically last a lifetime! If you are unsatisfied or dislike the appearance of the implant it is very easy to remove.  To remove the implant, we go through the same incision we made to insert the implant, which is hidden below the chin. All of this can be done under local anesthesia and requires virtually no down time!

Again, we can't provide you with the very most accurate information without actually seeing you, but these are the common solutions to your concern.

**Did you know we are *live on Snapchat* every day? We are St Louis' own plastic surgery reality show! Add us (@nosebynayak) to see what goes on behind the scenes. Caution – our daily story is addictive, contains live surgery, and is not for the faint of heart!**

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is possible to tighten the muscles underneath the chin

A full set of photographs and an in-person examination is usually required to make a determination about a surgical procedure. The when patients have a poor jaw and neck  angle, it can be from a result of fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle. Those fatty deposits are usually removed with surgery. Once any subplatysmal fat has been removed, a platysma plasty is performed to accentuate the jawline.  This is known as a neck lift without any skin removal.  For many examples in more information, please see the link and the video below