Scar treatment after Tummy tuck. Any suggestions?

I've had a mini tummy tuck along with liposuction. I've been reading about how to care for the scar and understand that tape helps. However my surgeon only suggested I start using silicon gel (dermatix) after the glue falls of. My question is, does the glue work as the tape to reduce tension? Is it bad to stretch your body since the scar will be stretched? Does the silicon gel keep the scar moist? Is it enough that I do nothing until the glue falls of and then only use silicon gel?

Scar Care After Surgery

Surgical glue is often used in closing the top layer of the skin to avoid stitch marks.  While present it helps to relieve tension on the skin edges, holds it together and avoids micro-movements which often leads to faster healing and less inflammation and redness.  While present it does not make sense to use you dermatix silicon gel.   Scars heal and remodel themselves over a period of months up to a year or so.  Protecting the area, reducing stress on the affected skin/scar, avoidance of excessive sunlight (UV radiation) is helpful to obtain the best results.  Discuss with your Surgeon what other options might be helpful in your specific case.     

Mini Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!