Mini tummy tuck scar - Silicon gel or sheet?

Hello, I'm a 28 year old man that have made a mini tummy tuck along with lipo. For scar treatment do you recommend silicon gel or sheets? When should I start with the treatment? After surgical glue falls off? Should I put any moisturizing lotion on the scar during treatment?

Scar treatment after tummy tuck

Either silicone sheeting or gel has been shown to be effective for scar improvement. You may find one or the other more convenient for application. Yes, wait for the clue to fall off. Some times you can encourage the glue to come off by rubbing it a bit. Do not use any moisturizing products when you are using the silicone. Most silicone treatments run about 12 weeks, at which time you can assess the improvement, and treat another 12 weeks if you prefer.

Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

Thank you for your question. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions for three months. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Treating Post-Op Scars

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace. On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser. For additional advice about any concerns you may have it would be good to visit your surgeon to have the area examined and see which may be best for your specific scarring issue.

Silicone gel or silicone sheets post mini tummy tuck

I recommend my patients begin using the silicone sheets or silicone gel at 3 weeks after surgery and recommend using for 3 months.  I would recommend either one as it is personal preference.  I do not recommend any moisturize lotion on the scar during this time.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Treatment of Scars

There a quite a few scar formulations on the market now.  The most effective ones are those that contain silicone.  You can use either a silicone gel or silicone solid sheets.  Because of the anatomic area involved, I think the sheets are a better option.  There's no need to wait for the gel to dry, and the sheet stay put and won't be rubbed off by clothing.Good luck!

George H. Pope, MD